US Fed chief named Time’s 2009 Person of the YearDecember 16th, 2009 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 16 (DPA) US news magazine Time has picked Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the US Federal Reserve Bank, as its 2009 Person of the Year.
The annual honour goes to a person, or group of persons, picked by the influential magazine as a major mover or shaker of the year coming to a close. In the last two years, Time has picked US President Barack Obama and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin for the designation.
Referring to Bernanke as “the most powerful nerd on the planet”, the magazine said it picked the former professor for his role in providing calm and stability through the ongoing financial crisis with efforts to bail out banks and pump money into the troubled US economy.
“The overriding story of 2009 was the economy the lousiness of it, and the fact that it wasn’t far lousier,” wrote Time.
“His creative leadership helped ensure that 2009 was a period of weak recovery rather than catastrophic depression, and he still wields unrivaled power over our money, our jobs, our savings and our national future. The decisions he has made, and those he has yet to make, will shape the path of our prosperity, the direction of our politics and our relationship to the world.”
- Ben Bernanke is the Time Person of the Year 2009 - Dec 16, 2009
- Sonia, Manmohan among 20 most powerful in world: Forbes - Nov 03, 2011
- Putin, Obama discuss bilateral relations - May 10, 2012
- Sonia ahead of Manmohan in Forbes list, Hu bests Obama (Night Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Putin calls US 'hooligans' for printing excess money - Jul 11, 2011
- Putin vows to continue liberal reforms in Russia - Mar 04, 2012
- Sonia among top 10 powerful people in world (Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg named TIME's Person of the Year - Dec 16, 2010
- Anti-Putin protests sweep across Russia - Dec 10, 2011
- Sonia among top 10 powerful people in world - Nov 04, 2010
- Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke confirmed for second term - Jan 29, 2010
- Sonia among 10 most powerful in world: Forbes (Second Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- 'US jobs market still bleak' - Jul 22, 2010
- Putin's birthday triggers Twitter flash mob - Oct 08, 2011
- US convinced 'Kandahar strongman' Karzai's half-brother is corrupt: WikiLeaks cable - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: banks, barack obama, calm, creative leadership, decisions, depression, designation, federal reserve, federal reserve bank, financial crisis, honour, magazine time, nerd, news magazine, person of the year, prosperity, russian prime minister, unrivaled power, us federal reserve, vladimir putin