U.S. favourites to win Olympic basketball goldJune 19th, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 19 (Xinhua) Argentine basketball player Emanuel Ginobili said that United States are the odds-on favourites to win the basketball gold medal at the Beijing Olympic Games. Ginobili, 30, member of the three-times US National Basketball Association (NBA) champions San Antonio Spurs, however, did not rule out the chances of Argentina and Spain who, he said, could give a tough fight to the Americans.
Ginobili told Xinhua Wednesday during a press conference here that the “clear candidates are US in first place, then Spain and then us (Argentina).”
Ginobili said Lithuania, Greece and Russia were the other teams that could give the favourites a good run for their money.
Ginobili, felt China, too, could cause some ripples but they don’t have the potential to be semifinalists.
Ginobili, a gold-medallist at the Athens Olympics in 2004, is a doubtful starter for the Beijing Games as he is nursing an ankle injury. A final decision will be taken in the first week of July after a medical check-up in San Antonio, Texas.
- Spain, Argentina bring high hopes to Olympic basketball - Jul 28, 2012
- Spain names basketball squad for London Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
- Ginobili rates US, Spain as top basketball teams - Jul 30, 2008
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
- Basketball: Russia seals Olympics berth - Jul 08, 2012
- Olympics: We are here for gold, says LeBron James - Jul 27, 2012
- Brazil win Olympic warm-up basketball tournament - Jul 13, 2012
- US picks 12-man basketball squad for Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- NBA legend Abdul-Jabbar pays visit to Flamengo - Jan 28, 2012
- Federer says Olympics tougher than a Grand Slam - Jul 27, 2012
- Michael Jordan sues Chinese firm - Feb 23, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
Tags: ankle injury, athens olympics, basketball player, beijing, buenos aires, doubtful starter, emanuel ginobili, final decision, gold medal, gold medallist, medical check, national basketball association, nba champions, olympic basketball, olympic games, ripples, san antonio spurs, san antonio texas, three times, xinhua