US facing highest terror threat since 9/11: Homeland Security chiefFebruary 10th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb.10 (ANI): US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has warned that the country is facing its highest terror threat since 9/11.
Addressing members of the US Congress on Wednesday, Napolitano said: “The terrorist threat facing our country has evolved significantly.”
Napolitano warned that attacks could be carried out with little warning, and added that Al-Qaeda and Taliban-linked individuals have attempted a number of recent attacks against the US.
The BBC further quoted her, as saying that state and local law enforcement officials are increasingly needed to combat terror, and the federal government must focus on supporting their efforts to secure communities.
She also said that homegrown radicalization is a growing threat, and one the United States could not ignore.
“As I have said before, we cannot guarantee that there will never be another terrorist attack, and we cannot seal our country under a glass dome,” she said.
She added: “However, we continue to do everything we can to reduce the risk of terrorism in our nation.”
The country’s counter-terrorism response currently includes local “fusion centres” aimed at facilitating intelligence sharing, a nationwide reporting initiative for suspicious acts and the “If you see something, say something” campaign created to “foster public vigilance,” Napolitano said.
As previously announced, the US is replacing the colour-coded terror alert system with a more useful one that can keep the public informed as much as possible, she added.
More than 60 US citizens have been charged or convicted of terrorist acts or related crimes since 2009. (ANI)
- US steps up awareness ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Aug 18, 2011
- Terrorists could target America this festive season: US security officials - Dec 22, 2010
- US calls for vigilance against 9/11 threat - Sep 10, 2011
- Mexican drug lord will meet Osama's fate: US - Feb 28, 2012
- US issues travel alert ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Sep 03, 2011
- Lashkar as dangerous as Al Qaeda: US - May 27, 2011
- 'American Al-Qaeda militants now pose biggest terror threat to US' - Oct 27, 2010
- India, US to boost security cooperation (Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- In security talks with US, India terms Pakistan fragile state (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- India, US to begin internal security dialogue, talk terror - May 25, 2011
- US homeland security chief pays tribute to 26/11 martyrs - May 24, 2011
- US homeland secretary visiting India - May 24, 2011
- Headley case points to threats from home-grown terrorists - Mar 19, 2010
- 'LeT a threat both to India, US' - Jun 03, 2011
- Domestic terrorism number one priority for US intelligence - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, counter terrorism, glass dome, homeland security, janet napolitano, law enforcement officials, radicalization, risk of terrorism, security chief, suspicious acts, taliban, terror alert system, terror threat, terrorism response, terrorist acts, terrorist attack, terrorist threat, us congress, us homeland security, vigilance