US envoy Patterson asks Pak CEC to announce poll dates soonNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
Patterson later told CBSW News that the CEC “thinks they (elections) will go ahead on time, he is ready to proceed.”
Commenting on Musharraf’s uniform issue, Patterson said that the US expected Musharraf to step down as Army Chief and begin his promised transition to civilian democratic rule.
“The US remains committed to supporting free, fair and credible elections in Pakistan,” she added.
“The US has provided more than 26 million dollars in bilateral and multilateral programme assistance in Pakistan for voter education, political parties development, computerisation of the voters rolls, training of political poll watchers, and domestic and international election observation missions,” she said.
Patterson said that the last 80,000 of the 430,000 transparent ballot boxes the US and the Japanese Government purchased for Pakistan elections would be delivered by December 9.
The Daily Times quoted her as saying that election observers would arrive in Pakistan on November 20. (ANI)
- Zardari promised Kayani he would grant pardon, immunity to Musharraf: WikiLeaks - Dec 04, 2010
- Use computerised rolls for local polls: Gilani - Sep 01, 2011
- Zardari, Kayani systematically worked for Musharraf's 'honourable exit': Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- 'Keen learner' Bilawal Bhutto not to jump headfirst into Pak politics - May 01, 2011
- Cablegate highlights America's deep role in Pak's power politics - Dec 02, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik - Mar 26, 2011
- Poll panel to consider single phase voting in Tamil Nadu - Dec 30, 2010
- New poll panel chief after consensus: Pakistani PM - Feb 01, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Zardari, Kayani worked for Musharraf's 'honourable exit' - Dec 08, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Tamil Nadu polls: Monitoring cash flow is a great concern, says CEC - Mar 15, 2011
- Paid news phenomenon bothersome: Poll panel head - Aug 23, 2011
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Patterson refutes Musharraf's allegations over Shujaat's role in NRO deal - Oct 09, 2010
- US looks forward to working with Putin - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: army chief, ballot boxes, cec, civilian democratic rule, election observers, elections, international community, international election observation, japanese government, musharraf, observation missions, pakistan, political poll, poll dates, poll watchers, uniform issue, voter education