US envoy Mitchell in Ramallah for talks with AbbasJune 10th, 2009 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem/Ramallah, June 10 (DPA) Visiting US peace envoy George Mitchell arrived in the West Bank city of Ramallah Wednesday for a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, on the second day of talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
Mitchell met Tuesday with Israeli leaders, including a four-hour-long parley with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the evening.
Netanyahu’s office did not release any details of the meeting, except for a brief communique which stated that “the meeting was friendly, positive and encompassed the full range of issues on the agenda.”
Although Mitchell took pains in his public appearances Tuesday to emphasise the US commitment to Israeli security and to reassure that the two allies remained friends, his talks have been overshadowed by a dispute over Israeli settlement activity in the occupied West Bank.
The US wants all Israeli settlement activity frozen. Israel, however, has said that while it would not establish new settlements, it would build in existing ones to accommodate so-called natural growth.
“The effort is to find common ground and to work together,” Netanyahu’s spokesman Mark Regev said Wednesday.
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel okays West Bank housing ahead of Biden visit - Mar 08, 2010
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Ehud Barack: 'Death of negotiations only benefits Hamas' - Nov 01, 2009
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israeli government discusses peace talks progress - Sep 05, 2010
- Palestinian leadership agrees to indirect talks with Israel - Mar 07, 2010
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Abbas, Netanyahu hold direct talks in Jerusalem (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestinians reject Israeli conditions for peace deal - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, city of ramallah, common ground, george mitchell, israeli leaders, israeli security, israeli settlement activity, mahmoud abbas, mark regev, minister benjamin netanyahu, occupied west bank, palestinian leaders, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, parley, peace envoy, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister benjamin, public appearances, ramallah