US envoy hailed for his Mideast peace plansFebruary 28th, 2009 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Feb 28 (Xinhua) US Middle East peace envoy George Mitchell is interested in making peace in the whole region rather than in just the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said Saturday.
In his second tour since his appointment, Mitchell met Israeli leaders Thursday and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and his premier Salam Fayyad Friday.
“Mitchell emphasized Obama’s commitment to the two-state solution” and the US president “will save no effort to achieve this on the ground”, Erekat said.
Mitchell’s Mideast tour comes at a time the Israelis and the Palestinians were busy in their internal politics. While Israel’s Likud party chief Benjamin Netanyahu trying hard to form a coalition, Hamas and Fatah movements of Palestine have launched a reconciliation dialogue in Cairo with an aim at forming a unity government.
“We have stressed before Mitchell that any upcoming Israeli government must accept the two-state solution, the peace deals and lifting the siege in order to be our peace partner,” Erekat stressed.
Erekat renewed that the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) will not continue peace talks with Israel if the coming Israeli government rejected the regional peace treaties, continued the settlement constructions in the West Bank and the sanctions on the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- UN chief in West Bank to push for peace talks - Mar 20, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Netanyahu expects direct talks to begin in two weeks - Aug 01, 2010
- Israel warns Palestinians against 'unilateral steps' - Nov 16, 2009
- Palestinians reject Israeli conditions for peace deal - Aug 23, 2010
- Israel okays West Bank housing ahead of Biden visit - Mar 08, 2010
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: gaza strip, hamas and fatah, israeli leaders, likud party, mahmoud abbas, middle east peace, mideast peace, palestinian negotiator, palestinian peace, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, peace envoy, peace partner, peace plans, peace talks, peace treaties, president mahmoud abbas, regional peace, salam fayyad, unity government