US envoy calls on Burmese military junta to hold talks with Suu KyiNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:01 am ICT by admin
Khalilzad, the US envoy to the UN, has urged the military regime to begin talks with detained pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, even as the UN is debating a statement “strongly deploring” the recent crackdown on peaceful protests.
At least 10 people were killed and thousands detained after an uprising led by Buddhist monks last month.
Khalilzad was quoted by the BBC as saying that UN envoy Ibrahim Gambari, who recently met senior figures during a four-day visit to Burma, should return to the country very soon to assist in talks.
“We believe it’s very important… that there be negotiations for a transition and that we need to start preparing ourselves with regard to a transition in Burma,” he told reporters.
“It’s very important that a serious dialogue on transition begins and that the international community, regional players, play their roles.”
There would still be a role for Burma’s military, as a national institution, within this transition, he said.
Meanwhile, the US, UK and France have circulated a statement calling for democratisation and the release of political prisoners for the approval of other Security Council members.
Burmese General Than Shwe has offered conditional talks with Aung San Suu Kyi. (ANI)
- Capital's Burmese community celebrates Suu Kyi's release - Nov 13, 2010
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- Aung San Suu Kyi will be released on November 13 - Oct 01, 2010
- Bond girl Michelle Yeoh in talks to play Aung San Suu Kyi - Dec 09, 2010
- Myanmar sets Nov 7 election date - Aug 13, 2010
- Suu Kyi to help Myanmarese migrants in Thailand - May 30, 2012
- Netizens hail Suu Kyi's release - Nov 13, 2010
- Myanmar pro-democracy leader appeals to India to play proactive role - Mar 10, 2012
- Burmese refugees disappointed over Than Shwe's India visit - Jul 27, 2010
- Cameron to meet Suu Kyi in Myanmar - Apr 10, 2012
- Myanmar to hold elections in 2010: Junta chief - Oct 10, 2009
- PM delivers letter from Sonia to Suu Kyi - May 29, 2012
- Suu Kyi, Rakhi Sawant dominate Nepal's headlines - Nov 14, 2010
- After Suu Kyi, Dalai Lama hopes for Chinese dissident's freedom - Nov 15, 2010
- Suu Kyi's party urges West to maintain sanctions on Burma - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, bbc, buddhist monks, burma, burmese military junta, democracy leader, detained, general than shwe, leaders need, military regime, national institution, peaceful protests, regional players, san suu kyi, security council members, transition, zalmay khalilzad