US embassy suspends consular services in IslamabadApril 10th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 10 (IANS) The US embassy in Pakistan’s capital suspended consular services Friday due to “heightened security”, an official said.
However, the US consulates in Lahore, Karachi and Peshawar will be open Friday, the Dawn quoted a spokesman as saying.
The spokesman said while regular consular services, such as visa processing for Pakistani nationals, won’t be available in the capital Friday, the embassy will provide emergency services to Americans.
Islamabad has witnessed violence in recent weeks, including a suicide bombing near a major road that killed eight security personnel.
The embassy staff must be vigilant while travelling to public places, restaurants and hotels due to serious security threats posed to US citizens, Geo TV reported, quoting a statement issued by the embassy.
Security has been beefed up at key places in Islamabad and offices of some multinational companies were closed Friday.
Private schools here were closed for the day in a bid to avoid any untoward incident, the report said.
Intelligence agencies have warned of a possible suicide attack in the Pakistan capital as dozens of terrorists have entered key cities, another media report said.
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Two die as Peshawar bombing targets US consulate vehicle (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Two Americans killed in Peshawar suicide bombing (Third Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- American held in Pakistan - Feb 14, 2012
- Security alert sounded in Islamabad amid terror threats (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- US donates bomb disposal vans, motorcycles to Pakistan - Dec 21, 2011
- US diplomats denied entry to Peshawar - Jul 21, 2011
- Three die in blast near UN office in Peshawar (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- US missions in Pakistan closed for public dealings - May 03, 2011
- No Americans killed in Peshawar blast: US - Sep 03, 2012
- US embassy staff barred from entering Peshawar (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Delhi to host honorary consuls meet - Feb 12, 2011
- Pakistan bars US diplomats from travel without permission - Oct 12, 2011
- Arms seized from US officials' cars in Pakistan - Jun 05, 2012
- Bomb attack strikes U.S. Consulate vehicles in Pakistan - May 20, 2011
Tags: consular services, dozens, embassy in pakistan, embassy security, embassy staff, emergency services, geo tv, intelligence agencies, karachi, multinational companies, pakistani nationals, possible suicide, private schools, security personnel, security threats, serious security, spokesman, suicide attack, untoward incident, us embassy in pakistan