US embassy in Yemen receives threat, security stepped upJanuary 27th, 2009 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Sanaa, Jan 26 (DPA) The US embassy in Sanaa said Monday it had received a threat of “possible attack” and asked US citizens in Yemen to exercise caution.”The US embassy has received a threat against the embassy compound regarding a possible attack which could take place in the foreseeable future,” the embassy said in a message posted on its web site.
“US citizens in Yemen are advised to exercise caution and take prudent security measures in all areas frequented by Westerners,” the message read.
It asked Americans to maintain a “high level of vigilance” and avoid crowds and keep a low profile.
Witnesses said police forces closed a street passing by the embassy compound in the Sheraton area in eastern Sanaa, and dozens of police personnel were deployed around the compound.
- Police open fire at car outside US embassy in Yemen - Jan 27, 2009
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- US, British embassies in Yemen shut over Al Qaeda threat - Jan 04, 2010
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- US embassy in Thailand warns of terror threat - Jan 13, 2012
- US, Britain ask citizens to be on alert after Pune blast - Feb 14, 2010
- Delhi Police on alert after terror warning by US, others (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- US, British embassies in Yemen still closed over terror threats (Lead) - Jan 04, 2010
- Fresh terror alerts in Delhi, security beefed up (Roundup) - May 01, 2010
- US, Britain, Australia, Canada issue fresh terror alerts (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- U.S. renews Yemen travel warning - Feb 26, 2010
- Russian embassy escaped Taliban attack in Afghanistan - Apr 16, 2012
- British ambassador unhurt after attack in Yemen - Apr 26, 2010
- India could face another terror attack: US - Aug 13, 2010
- Yemeni protestors storm US embassy - Sep 13, 2012