US downplays Syrian offer to discuss Assad’s resignationAugust 22nd, 2012 - 4:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) The US has downplayed the latest Syrian offer to discuss President Bashar al-Assad’s resignation through dialogue, saying it sees nothing “terribly new”, Xinhua reported.
Referring to remarks made by Syrian Deputy Prime Minister Qadri Jamil about Al-Assad earlier Tuesday, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said : “Frankly, we didn’t see anything terribly new there.”
The Syrian official, following his talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, had told reporters that Al-Assad’s resignation could only be discussed during a national dialogue, and that the western attempt to force the president’s ouster on the Syrian people would set a “very dangerous precedent”.
“The Syrian government knows what it needs to do, and the Russian government, as you know, joined us in Geneva in setting forth a very clear transition plan,” Nuland said.
She said the meeting with Jamil offered Russia another chance to encourage the Syrian government to follow through the transition plan as envisaged in Geneva.
“But, you know, there’s no need to complicate it, as the deputy prime minister appeared to do there,” she added, noting “We still believe that the faster Al-Assad goes, the more chance there is to quickly move on to the day after.”
Russia and China, both permanent members of the UN Security Council, have opposed a forced regime change in Syria and advocated a negotiated settlement of the 18-month conflict.
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Syria dismisses Obama threat as election ploy - Aug 21, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Russia defends decision on Syria resolution - Feb 07, 2012
- Russia supports Syrians' decision on leadership - Mar 18, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia to push Syria peace plan at UNSC - Sep 09, 2012
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Syria's Assad not ready to stand down - Jul 20, 2012
- US seeks Russia's cooperation over Syria resolution - Jun 18, 2011
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, dangerous precedent, department spokeswoman, deputy prime minister, foreign minister, jamil, members of the un security council, national dialogue, ouster, president bashar, regime change, russian government, sergei lavrov, syrian government, syrian official, transition plan, un security council, us state department, victoria nuland, xinhua