US donates equipment to Sri Lanka Air Force (With Images)August 23rd, 2010 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 23 (IANS) Officials of the US embassy presented the Sri Lanka Air Force Rs.674 million ($6 million) in equipment to enhance maritime security, the embassy said Monday.
At a ceremony at the Ratmalana Air Base, Valerie Fowler, Deputy Chief of Mission at the embassy, announced the donation to Air Chief Marshal Roshan Goonetileke, Chief of Defence Staff from the Sri Lanka Air Force.
This hardware, including data links for two Beechcraft 200 aircraft, enables real time imagery that has assisted Sri Lanka in providing humanitarian assistance and responding to natural disasters such as floods.
The equipment also assists the Sri Lanka military in ensuring the safety and security of the country’s territorial waters.
The US supports Sri Lanka in its efforts to combat human trafficking, piracy, terrorism, narcotics smuggling and other transnational crime. Safe and secure seas are in the interests of both our countries.
- US special forces helping India to contain LeT - Mar 02, 2012
- Chidambaram in Thimphu for SAARC security conference - Jul 22, 2011
- US says its special forces in India; Delhi says 'no' (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Chidambaram, Malik co-travellers for SAARC security conference (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2011
- Malaysia most suited to track piracy in Arabian Sea: Expert - Apr 17, 2011
- South Asian nations seek total elimination of piracy - Nov 18, 2011
- Commanders to debate battle readiness, security threats - Apr 20, 2011
- India to take part in Pacific Airlift Rally - Aug 19, 2011
- US, Sri Lanka call for stronger defence ties - Aug 15, 2012
- South Asia's leaders to accelerate trade, to jointly combat terror - Nov 11, 2011
- India-Japan coast guards' deep sea mock drill ends - Jan 30, 2012
- India, Mozambique to jointly fight piracy - Jun 28, 2011
- Antony to address Singapore regional security dialogue - May 31, 2012
- Pakistan wants strong economic ties with Sri Lanka - Nov 30, 2011
- Asian coast guard chiefs to discuss piracy, security - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: air chief marshal, beechcraft 200, data links, defence staff, deputy chief, floods, force rs, fowler, human trafficking, humanitarian assistance, maritime security, narcotics, natural disasters, safety and security, sri lanka air, territorial waters, time imagery, transnational crime, us embassy, valerie