US diplomat misquoted on India’s efforts on Iran oilMay 16th, 2012 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 16 (IANS) A top US energy diplomat was misquoted by Reuters news agency in suggesting that he was “not too impressed” with India’s efforts to cut its imports of oil from Western sanctions-hit Iran.
“What he actually said was, ‘I am not doing press today,’ not ‘I am not impressed.’” State department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters Tuesday when asked about the reported remark of Carlos Pascual, the State Department’s special envoy for international energy issues.
“Reuters did fix this, I believe, and issued a retraction,” she said.
Pascual, who is in New Delhi “with his team to talk about the whole complex of energy issues with India, including our work to reduce different countries’ dependence on Iranian oil, Nuland said “was misquoted by a reporter.”
“It was a mess-up. He is not planning to speak about his consultations until they’re completed,” she added.
Asked if the US was “impressed” or “unimpressed” with what the Indians have done in reducing their dependence on Iranian oil, Nuland said as US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said during her recent India visit, “we are making progress, there’s more progress to be made.”
“And that’s what Carlos is talking about, and we’ll have more on his consultations after they’re complete.
India meanwhile announced that it was cutting Iran oil imports by 11 percent. The announcement was made in parliament Tuesday by Minister of State for Petroleum R P N Singh.
- US sending envoy to help India cut Iran oil imports - May 09, 2012
- India seeks shale gas supplies from US - May 16, 2012
- US serves notice on India on Iran oil sanctions - Mar 22, 2012
- US working with India to reduce dependence on Iran oil - Mar 23, 2012
- US pushing India to 'wean' from Iran oil - Feb 22, 2012
- India under pressure to cut oil imports from Iran: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- US sanctions on Iran: India keeping all options open - Jan 07, 2012
- US downplays Manmohan Singh's visit to Iran - Aug 15, 2012
- India, US on same page on Iran's n-programme (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- India asks Saudi Arabia to hike crude oil supply - Feb 23, 2012
- Despite sanctions, India to ramp up ties with Iran - Mar 01, 2012
- Enough global oil to sideline Iran: Obama - Mar 31, 2012
- US says it's helping India find alternative oil supplies - May 24, 2012
- Clinton visit: India to juggle ties with US, Iran - May 05, 2012
- US reiterates opposition to Iran-Pakistan pipeline - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: carlos pascual, consultations, dependence, diplomat, energy issues, hillary clinton, india visit, international energy, iran oil, iranian oil, minister of state, New Delhi, oil imports, retraction, reuters news agency, secretary of state, spokesperson, state department, victoria nuland, western sanctions