US deports accused Nazi criminal to AustriaMarch 20th, 2009 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 19 (DPA) The US has deported to Austria an accused Nazi war criminal who settled in Wisconsin following World War II, the US Justice Department announced Thursday.
Josias Kumpf, 83, allegedly served as guard of the SS-Death Head division and participated in the Nov 3, 1943, massacre of 8,000 Jews at the Trawniki labour camp in Poland. He was also a guard at the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp in Germany.
“Josias Kumpf, by his own admission, stood guard with orders to shoot any surviving prisoners who attempted to escape an SS massacre that left thousands of Jews dead,” Acting Assistant Attorney General Rita M. Glavin said.
The Justice Department said that Kumpf has said his assignment was to watch for victims who were still “halfway alive” or “convulsing” and prevent their escape. His job was to “shoot them to kill” if they tried to escape.
The Serbian born Kumpf immigrated to the US from Austria in 1956 and became a US citizen in 1964.
- Ex-Nazi camp guard, 90, found living in Britain - Jun 12, 2011
- Germany re-opens massacre probe against ex-SS officer - Apr 23, 2010
- German court finds former Nazi guard guilty of 27,900 deaths - May 12, 2011
- Suspected 88 year old Nazi indicted in Germany - Jul 29, 2010
- Nazi surgical set withdrawn from auction - Feb 11, 2012
- Most wanted Nazi fugitive hiding in Germany - Jul 06, 2010
- Nazi-era mass grave found at Austrian army base - Mar 10, 2010
- 'Even German civilians took part in killing concentration camp survivors' - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Five-star jails' used for Hitler's 'special' prisoners of war, reveals tell-all - Mar 19, 2011
- French rail company SNCF regrets WWII deportations - Jan 26, 2011
- Spain to seek extradition of Nazi war criminals from US - Jul 18, 2008
- Former Nazi dies in Austria - Jun 21, 2011
- Former Nazi guard charged for killing half-a-million Jews - Jul 29, 2010
- Europe's most wanted war crimes fugitive Mladic held (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Israel asks Germany to act against fugitive Nazi criminal - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: accused nazi, acting, admission, assistant attorney general, death head, glavin, jews, job, josias kumpf, labour camp, march 19, nazi war criminal, poland, prisoners, rita, sachsenhausen concentration camp, ss, us citizen, us justice department, world war ii