US deploys underwater drones to hunt for Iranian minesJuly 12th, 2012 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 12 (IANS) The US is to intensify its military build up in the Persian Gulf by deploying miniature underwater drones to hunt for Iranian mines, The Telegraph reported Thursday.
The four-foot-long, remotely guided “SeaFox” submersibles are expected to form a key element of US military strategy in the region amid mounting tensions over Iran’s nuclear programme.
Tehran has repeatedly threatened to respond to Western sanctions by mounting a blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, the world’s most important energy waterway.
With the failure of diplomatic efforts to persuade Iran to curb its nuclear ambitions, the US has gradually begun to reinforce its military assets in the Gulf, the newspaper said.
The SeaFox drones will significantly bolster the US military’s countermine capability, which was also boosted this month with an announcement that four minesweepers would sail into the Gulf, doubling the number to eight.
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Iran seeks regional cooperation for Persian Gulf's security - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Britain draws up battle plan against Iran - Feb 26, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Strait of Hormuz should remain open : NATO - Jan 19, 2012
- Iran threatens legal action over oil embargo - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: blockade, capability, countermine, diplomatic efforts, drones, element, failure, iran, military assets, military strategy, minesweepers, nuclear ambitions, persian gulf, strait of hormuz, submersibles, tehran, telegraph, tensions, waterway, western sanctions