US denounces civilians’ killings in SyriaJune 8th, 2012 - 9:20 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 8 (IANS) The White House has denounced the reported killings of civilians in the Qubair village in Syria’s Hama province, calling for joint efforts in support of a political transition in the Arab country.
“The United States strongly condemns the outrageous targeted killings of civilians including women and children in Qubair in Hama province as reported by multiple credible sources,” Xinhua quoted White House spokesman Jay Carney saying in a statement Thursday.
“This, coupled with the Syrian regime’s refusal to let UN observers into the area to verify these reports, is an affront to human dignity and justice,” he said.
Earlier Thursday, Syria’s state TV rejected as “categorically baseless” media reports claiming that shelling by government troops killed about 90 people in the village. Rather, it blamed armed groups for the massacre committed Wednesday.
“There is no justification for this regime’s continued defiance of its obligations under the Annan plan,” Carney said, adding “Assad’s continued abdication of responsibility for these horrific acts has no credibility and only further underscores the illegitimate and immoral nature of his rule.”
“We call once more on all nations to abandon support for this brutal and illegitimate regime, and to join together to support a political transition in Syria — one that upholds the promise of a future for which far too many have already died,” he said.
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Syria on brink of foreign instigated war: Assad - Jun 03, 2012
- Clinton urges Assad to transfer power - Jun 07, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Syria welcomes UN monitors, pitches for neutral BRICS - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Syria warns nations against recognising rebel council - Oct 09, 2011
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- Nearly 90 killed in new massacre in Syria: Report - Jun 07, 2012
- Fresh Syria massacre was planned terror: Syrian envoy - Jun 07, 2012
- Syria appreciates BRICS stand on sovereignty - Mar 30, 2012
- US calls Syrian president 'cause of instability' - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: affront, arab country, assad, carney, civilians, credibility, credible sources, defiance, government troops, hama, horrific acts, human dignity, justification, political transition, state tv, syrian regime, targeted killings, un observers, white house spokesman, xinhua