US crew retakes ship from Somali pirates: report (Lead)April 9th, 2009 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 8 (DPA) Crew members may have retaken control of a US-operated ship that was hijacked off the coast of Somalia, CNN reported citing an unnamed Pentagon official.
The ship with 21 US citizens on board was taken by Somali pirates early Wednesday, the first time a US crew has been taken hostage in the volatile waters.
At least one of the pirates had been captured by the crew and another three of the hijackers had attempted to escape, according to CNN.
Owned by Danish firm Maersk and operated by US company Maersk Line Limited, the ship was carrying food supplies and no weapons, and was headed to Mombasa, Kenya, according to John Reinhart, chief executive of Maersk Line.
“This was going to Africa for people who are in need,” Reinhart told reporters from the company’s headquarters in Norfolk, Virginia.
Reinhart would not confirm that the ship had been retaken, saying it was a fluid situation. Reinhart said he had earlier been in contact with a crew member by mobile phone and that all 21 on board were apparently safe.
The White House earlier said it was “closely monitoring” the situation. A spokesman for the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet stationed in Bahrain said a coalition force off the Somali coast was keeping watch on the vessel.
Somali pirates, who typically seek ransom, have stepped up their attacks on ships operating off the coast in recent months. The Danish-US ship is the sixth to be seized since Saturday.
- US cargo ship's captain held hostage: Report - Apr 09, 2009
- Danish ship taken hostage by Somali pirates - Mar 01, 2011
- US Navy reaches ship hijacked by Somali pirates (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- Alabama ship is in Mombasa; FBI sequesters crew, ship - Apr 12, 2009
- Indians on board hijacked oil tanker - May 12, 2012
- U.S. Marines retake hijacked German-owned vessel off the coast of Somalia - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Virginia court convicted Somali pirates accused of killing four Americans - Mar 11, 2011
- UN chief appalled by Somali pirates' killing of Americans - Feb 23, 2011
- Danish warship rescues 12 hostages from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Danish warship frees Pakistani, Iranian hostages - Jan 09, 2012
- Somali pirates negotiate with US Navy over hostage - Apr 10, 2009
- US captain kidnapped by pirates freed by special forces - Apr 13, 2009
- US Navy steps up pressure on Somali pirates (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Ship owners ask Somali pirates to release seven Indians (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: according to john, cnn, coalition force, crew member, crew members, danish firm, fifth fleet, fluid situation, food supplies, hijackers, hostage, john reinhart, keeping watch, maersk, norfolk virginia, pentagon official, ransom, somali coast, somali pirates, us navy