US court tells pet cat he ‘must attend’ jury duty or face consequencesJanuary 18th, 2011 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 18 (ANI): A pet cat in US that was summoned for jury duty has been told by a court that he “must attend”, even though his owner did her best to point out that he is “unable to speak or understand English”.
Owner Anna Esposito had protested that there must be a mistake in her pet cat Sal being called for jury service, but a jury commissioner refused to listen and said that he has to attend the court.
Even a letter from her vet saying that the animal was a “domestic short-haired neutered feline” did not stop the court from ruling that he has to attend, and that if he didn’t he will have to report to Suffolk Superior Crown Court in Boston, U.S. on March 23.
“When they ask him guilty or not guilty? What’s he supposed to say - miaow?” the Daily Mail quoted her as saying.
“Sal is a member of the family so I listed him on the last Census form under pets but there has clearly been a mix-up,” she stated.
Esposito had written Sal’s name under “pets” on the last census, and she had crossed out “dogs” and said he was a cat.
“I said, Sal, what’s this? I was shocked. He likes to sit on my knee and watch crime shows with me but even so he’s still under qualified for jury duty if you ask me,” Esposito’s husband Guy added.
It is thought he accidentally ended up on the juror list when paperwork was misread at the last census. (ANI)
- Cat Ordered to do Jury Service in Boston - Jan 19, 2011
- Cat Sal Esposito Summoned To Court For Jury Duty! - Jan 15, 2011
- Cat called for jury duty - Jan 10, 2010
- Cat Sal Esposito Receives Call For Jury Duty - Jan 10, 2010
- Woman microwaves kitten, hauled before court - Jul 09, 2011
- Meet the world's 'loudest' cat whose purr is as noisy as a Boeing 737! - Feb 22, 2011
- Justice Elena Kagan Not Selected For Jury Duty - Jan 21, 2011
- Couple divorce as wife brings 550 cats into their marital home - May 29, 2012
- Kristen Stewart's 'Twilight' name Bella was 2010's most popular dog name - Jan 07, 2011
- I am too racist for case: Juror tells judge - Sep 11, 2012
- Meet the cat that can predict epileptic fits! - Mar 14, 2011
- She kept her 550 pussies and let hubby go - May 26, 2012
- Cat leash law causes a huge uproar in Vermont City - Jun 18, 2010
- PETA director Pammie to save dogs affected by oil spill - Jul 31, 2010
- Cat leaps though open window to avoid castration! - Jun 07, 2010
Tags: boston, census, consequences, crown court, daily mail, dogs, esposito, juror, jury commissioner, jury duty, jury service, london jan, member of the family, mistake, neutered, paperwork, pet cat, pets, vet