US couple jailed for killing Russian adopted sonNovember 19th, 2011 - 2:25 am ICT by IANS
New York, Nov 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A US couple, convicted for the involuntary manslaughter of their adopted Russian son, were jailed for a maximum of four years Friday.
A Pennsylvania court ruled that Michael and Nannette Craver must serve a minimum of 16 months. Their exact jail term will depend on their behaviour behind bars, the court said.
Seven-year-old Nathaniel Craver (Ivan Skorobogatov), died in August 2009 at a hospital in Pennsylvania.
Doctors said the boy died of injuries and malnutrition. They discovered more than 80 injuries on his body, including 20 on his head.
The Cravers were arrested in February 2010 and denied all the charges brought against them, saying the boy suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome and attachment disorders. The couple’s defense said his injuries were self-inflicted.
The Cravers remained silent while the judge was announcing the verdict and left the court room without comment.
Before the jury announced its decision in September, prosecutors had demanded the death penalty for the couple, who were released on $50,000 bail each in September.
Russian child rights ombudsman Pavel Astakhov condemned the US jury’s ruling that the killing of the boy was accidental.
Since 1991, a total of 17 adopted Russian children have died worldwide as a result of beatings or negligence, according to official Russian statistics.
- US couple put on wanted list for Russian boy's death - Nov 22, 2011
- US couple abandon adopted Russian boy - Apr 09, 2010
- US woman who sent back Russian boy to pay $150,000 - May 18, 2012
- Russia seeks access to US ranch for kids - Sep 21, 2012
- Russia to slash US adoption agencies - Jul 15, 2011
- Russian diplomat may adopt boy abandoned by US mom - Jun 01, 2010
- Russia to sign child adoption deals with European countries - Nov 15, 2011
- Man jailed after dog 'shoots' friend - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian fairytales for kids urged - Mar 29, 2012
- Russian woman jailed for ordering father's murder - Sep 15, 2011
- US couple charged with abuse of adopted Russian girls - Jul 02, 2011
- Man jailed for killing flasher in Russia - Jan 26, 2012
- Russian ex-cops kidnap, kill Austrian lawyer - Aug 19, 2012
- 'Media magnifying teenage suicides in Russia' - Feb 21, 2012
- Three kids die in Siberian building collapse - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: attachment disorders, beatings, craver, death penalty, fetal alcohol syndrome, involuntary manslaughter, ivan, jail term, malnutrition, nannette, negligence, ombudsman, pavel, pennsylvania court, pennsylvania doctors, prosecutors, ria novosti, russian child, russian children, russian statistics