US conducts raid against insurgents in Syria (Lead)October 27th, 2008 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Oct 27 (Xinhua) US security forces have raided hideouts of insurgents in Syria to stop cross-border attacks by militants on Iraqi positions, officials said.”The US raid on the Syrian side of Iraq’s border was targeting the hideouts of terrorists who are carrying out cross-border attacks,” Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh, said.
Syrian media earlier reported that at least eight civilians were killed Sunday when helicopter-borne US troops attacked a militants’ hideout in a Syrian village along the border with Iraq.
Four American helicopters violated Syrian airspace at around 1345 GMT Sunday, the official SANA news agency reported.
US officials blame the neighbouring Syria of allowing insurgents to use its territories as a base for sending fighters and weapons to conduct attacks inside Iraq.
- Iraqi police help US target terrorist in Syria: Report - Oct 28, 2008
- 'Al Qaeda infiltrating Syria via Iraq' - Jul 05, 2012
- Iraq sends security forces to Syrian border - Nov 01, 2008
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- Iraq to help Libya in chemical weapons' disposal - Apr 13, 2012
- Damascus calls in diplomat over attack: US sources - Oct 27, 2008
- Compelling evidence of war crimes in Iraq: Wikileaks (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- 11 caught trying to escape Iraq jail - Aug 07, 2012
- Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria - Aug 23, 2012
- 835 await execution in Iraqi prisons - Dec 14, 2010
- U.S. officially ends nearly nine-year-long war in Iraq - Dec 15, 2011
- 63 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Iraq nominates oil expert as OPEC chief - Mar 06, 2012