US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West BankAugust 10th, 2011 - 9:46 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US reiterated its concerns over the ongoing Israeli housing construction in the West Bank, the US Department of State said in a statement Tuesday.
“The United States is deeply concerned by continuing Israeli actions with respect to housing construction in Jerusalem. We have raised this issue with the Israeli government and continue to make our position known,” the statement said.
The issue of settlement construction has been a major sticking point that has hampered the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
“As we have said before, unilateral actions work against efforts to resume direct negotiations and contradict the logic of a reasonable and necessary agreement between the parties.”
Israel’s refusal last September to prolong its 10-month moratorium on the construction of settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories saw Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas withdraw from direct negotiations with Israeli Prime Minster Benjamin Netanyahu.
The talks, which came to a halt just a few weeks after they resumed in Washington following a 20-month break, yielded no results as both sides showed an unwillingness to compromise.
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, department of state, housing construction, israeli actions, israeli government, last september, leader mahmoud abbas, mahmoud abbas, moratorium, necessary agreement, occupied palestinian territories, palestinian leader mahmoud abbas, palestinian peace, peace process, prime minster, ria novosti, settlement construction, sticking point, unilateral actions, us department of state