US concerned about attacks in IsraelMarch 11th, 2012 - 8:17 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 11 (IANS) The US has expressed concern over rocket attacks by Gaza militants in southern Israel.
“We are deeply concerned by the renewal of violence in southern Israel,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement Saturday.
“We condemn in the strongest terms the rocket fire from Gaza by terrorists into southern Israel in recent days, which has dramatically and dangerously escalated in the past day,” she said.
Fourteen militants killed and over 20 Palestinians injured as Israeli jets struck back. The majority of the dead are members of the military wing of the Islamic Jihad movement, reports Xinhua.
The violence is the worst since August 2011, when 25 Palestinians were killed in a wave of violence after Israel killed Kamal al-Nairab, top commander of the pro-Hamas Popular Resistance Committees.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday that Israel would continue to strike any group trying to attack Israeli citizens and would acquire more Iron Dome systems to shoot down incoming rockets.
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- Israel will hit anyone planning to attack its citizens: PM - Mar 11, 2012
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Obama discusses Middle East peace with Netanyahu - Aug 11, 2011
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, department spokeswoman, dome systems, hamas, iron dome, islamic jihad, israeli citizens, israeli jets, israeli prime minister, kamal, militants, military wing, minister benjamin netanyahu, popular resistance committees, prime minister benjamin, rocket attacks, rocket fire, southern israel, victoria nuland, xinhua