US commandos rescue two hostages in SomaliaJanuary 26th, 2012 - 7:07 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 26 (IANS) US commandos have rescued two hostages from Somali kidnappers in an operation ordered by President Barack Obama.
Jessica Buchanan, an American working with the Danish Demining Group, and her Danish colleague, Poul Thisted, were rescued Tuesday night.
They were kidnapped in October near Galcayo, Somalia, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said in a statement Wednesday.
Buchanan and Thisted were transported to a safe location where they will receive health checks before returning home.
Two US helicopters were deployed in the operation and there was exchange of fire with the Somali hostage takers.
- Jessica Buchanan to arrive in a commercial flight from Somalia - Jan 31, 2012
- Danish warship rescues 12 hostages from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Two Ugandan military helicopters crash-land in Kenya - Aug 13, 2012
- Geronimo EKA: Magic words that Obama was waiting to hear - May 03, 2011
- Hostages rescued from Somali pirates say they were threatened, tortured - Mar 16, 2011
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- Somali leader backs Indian action against pirates (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- No silver bullet to destroy Al Qaeda: Panetta - Apr 28, 2012
- Two kidnapped Assam businessmen rescued after three days - Sep 01, 2010
- Indonesian troops prepare hostage rescue operation against Somali pirates - Apr 14, 2011
- US to redeploy naval fleet in Asia-Pacific region - Jun 02, 2012
- Obama didn't see bin-Laden die: CIA Director Panetta - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan must come clean on Osama killing: Daily (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Pakistan must come clean over Osama killing, says daily - May 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,