US comedian sacked for tweeting Japan jokesMarch 15th, 2011 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 15 (IANS) A US insurance firm has fired a comedian who did the voiceover for its mascot - the Aflac duck - for tweeting jokes on the massive earthquake and the tsunami that has caused immense devastation in Japan.
Insurance company Aflac axed Gilbert Gottfried after noticing the tweets, CNN said Tuesday quoting a news release from the company.
“Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac,” said Michael Zunda, the company’s senior vice president and chief marketing officer.
Gottfried was a character actor in Hollywood movies like “The Adventures of Ford Fairlane”, “Problem Child 1 and 2″ and “House Party 3″. He lent his voice to the parrot sidekick of a sultan’s advisor in the Disney cartoon movie, “Aladdin”, CNN said.
Over 2,400 people have died in Friday’s earthquake and tsunami and officials fear that the toll could exceed 10,000. There have also been blasts in three nuclear reactors at a Japanese n-plant in Fukushima.
Gottfried’s tweets made light of the disaster in either a flippant or sexual manner, the media report said.
One of his tweets said: “Japan called me. They said ‘Maybe those jokes are a hit in the US, but over here, they’re all sinking’.”
Another tweet said: “I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said ‘Is there a school in this area’. She said ‘Not now, but just wait’.”
“There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times”, said Zunda, who added the company was giving the Red Cross 100 million yen ($1.2 million) for disaster relief.
Zunda said Gottfried had not provided the quack for the Japanese version of the Aflac duck.
- Joan Rivers defends jokes about Japan - Mar 16, 2011
- Japan disaster losses to exceed $100 bn - Mar 16, 2011
- Chinese keen to invest in quake-hit Japan property market - Mar 18, 2011
- GIC Re covered for Japan risks: Chairman - Mar 15, 2011
- Celebrities tweet their prayers to Japan's quake, Tsunami victims - Mar 12, 2011
- Indian insurers taking stock of Japanese tsunami - Mar 11, 2011
- Japanese PM invokes Ninja Hattori for stronger ties with India (Lead) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Japan faces fears of n-radiation, more quakes (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Twitter users post more than 12,000 tweets per second during Super Bowl - Feb 06, 2012
- Japanese troops launch new search for quake victims - Apr 10, 2011
- Russia sends 50 tonnes of mineral water to quake-hit Japan - May 18, 2011
- Japan quake victims' bodies could be radioactive - Apr 01, 2011
- Recalling the 2004 tsunami that devastated Aceh - Apr 11, 2012
- Sony announces $3.1 billion annual loss - May 27, 2011
- Gujarat diamond traders worried over safety of their wards in quake- hit Japan - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: adventures of ford fairlane, aflac, character actor, chief marketing, cnn, disaster relief, disney cartoon, fukushima, gilbert gottfried, insurance firm, japanese version, massive earthquake, nuclear reactors, party 3, problem child, senior vice president, sexual manner, thoughts and feelings, tweets, voiceover