US comedian Jay Leno sued over Golden Temple jokeJanuary 26th, 2012 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 25 (IANS) An Indian American has filed a lawsuit in California suing US comedian Jay Leno for what he calls “racist” comments on the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
Leno “hurt the sentiments of all Sikh people in addition to the plaintiff”, says Randeep Dhillon in his lawsuit filed in the Los Angeles Superior Court Tuesday, seeking unspecified damages, according to TMZ.com.
A recent Leno skit showed the shrine as the summer home of Republican candidate Mitt Romney, who has faced questions over his wealth and Sikhs are angry that the temple was shown as a place for the rich.
Leno’s joke “clearly exposes plaintiff, other Sikhs and their religion to hatred, contempt, ridicule and obloquy because it falsely portrays the holiest place in the Sikh religion as a vacation resort owned by a non-Sikh”, Dhillon said in his petition.
Indian Deputy Chief of Mission here Arun Kumar Singh met US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Robert Blake Tuesday and conveyed India’s objection to Leno passing off a visual of the Golden Temple as Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s vacation home.
The Indian Mission has also written a “strong letter” to NBC, which broadcast Leno’s “The Tonight Show” featuring the joke Thursday.
Meanwhile, US based Sikh group, Sikhs for Justice lodged a complaint with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) against Leno’s objectionable depiction of Golden Temple.
The SFJ complaint states that “Jay Leno’s depiction of Golden Temple as the home of the rich is racist, derogatory, defamatory, contrary to the reality, inimical to the principles of Sikhism, and thus hurtful to the sentiments of the Sikh community”.
The complaint demands imposition of sanctions against Jay Leno for spreading racism and against NBC for airing contents ridiculing a place of worship.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India, US Sikh group object to Golden Temple comments - Jan 25, 2012
- India objects to US TV host's joke on Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- Sikh group seeks apology from Jay Leno for Golden Temple remark - Jan 25, 2012
- Sikh group hires lobbyist to educate US media - Feb 02, 2012
- Jay Leno being criticized for his comments on India's Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- US defends TV host's `satirical' comments on Golden Temple - Jan 24, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter motivated by hate: Romney - Aug 08, 2012
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Romney lands in controversy with 'birther' joke - Aug 25, 2012
- Mitt Romney confuses 'Sikh' with 'sheikh' - Aug 08, 2012
- Obama, Romney tied in presidential race: Poll - May 23, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- India, US to consolidate global strategic partnership - Jan 26, 2012
- India, US to work for implementing n-deal (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: angeles superior court, arun kumar, central asia, comedian jay, complaint states, dhillon, federal communications commission, golden temple in amritsar, los angeles superior court, mitt romney, obloquy, place of worship, racist comments, republican presidential candidate, robert blake, sikh community, sikh religion, sikhism, sikhs, vacation resort