US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaineAugust 6th, 2010 - 11:54 am ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, Aug 6 (IANS/EFE) A Honduran-flagged ship carrying 3.5 tonnes of cocaine was seized and five of its occupants were arrested by the US Coast Guard off the Honduran coast.
The vessel was intercepted Tuesday off the eastern Honduran province of Gracias a Dios, on the border with Nicaragua, in a joint operation with local authorities, Honduran Security Secretariat spokesman Leonel Sauceda said.
Five Hondurans were arrested in the operation, Sauceda said, adding that the suspects may be tried in either Honduras or the US.
The seizure was the biggest in the past six years in the Central American country, Sauceda said.
Honduras is used as a transit point by South American drug traffickers. More than 2.2 tonnes of cocaine had been seized in the region so far this year, officials said.
- Police seize 460 kg of cocaine in Honduras - Oct 08, 2010
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
- Chinese firm to build hydro-power plants in Honduras - Sep 10, 2010
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- 10 Honduran police officers arrested on drug charges - Jul 13, 2009
- Nicaragua seizes over two tonnes of cocaine - Mar 06, 2012
- Cocaine found on submarine in Honduran waters - Jul 30, 2011
- One killed as drug plane makes forced landing in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- US Coast Guard seizes 1.4 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 08, 2010
- Journalist shot dead in Honduras - Mar 16, 2010
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- Suitcase containing $600,000 seized in Panama - Aug 02, 2011
- Colombian police seize 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Jan 04, 2011
- Colombian navy seizes tonne of cocaine - Sep 12, 2012
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,