US close to unveiling flying car as Iran reveals hybrid flying boat squadronOctober 4th, 2010 - 1:10 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 4 (ANI): Two major superpowers - US and Iran - have been involved in building flying hybrid vehicles presumably for patrol and reconnaissance.
While US is close to unveiling a helicopter-Humvee, Iran reportedly already has several squadrons of small reconnaissance boat-planes called Bavar 2.
Both are designed to move between air and ground or water as easily as possible.
The basic functionality of the US vehicle seems to be that it is a Humvee with Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) capabilities.
The “flying boat” is intended to be used for both patrol and reconnaissance, and is apparently able to evade radar, presumably by flying at low altitudes.
“High waves have no effect on them, they can carry out surveillance operations with night vision cameras and electronic systems,” News.com.au quoted the Iranian Minister of Defence, Bridigier General Ahmad Vahidi, as saying.
Although some experts argue that the vehicles may be technically weak, in that they wouldn’t be all that stealthy, Iran’s deployment still puts them ahead in the de facto hybrid vehicle-combination race against America, which has only just put pen to paper on their own new military concept.
However, neither of these hybrid vehicles are likely to make the jump over to civilian use in the near future, unlike US start-up Terrafugia, which early last month announced it was ready to begin low-volume production of its hybrid vehicle, the Transition Roadable Aircraft. (ANI)
- US firm to develop flying cars for military - Dec 01, 2010
- Flying Maruti car at AeroIndia this year - Feb 01, 2011
- FDA approves flying car - Jun 30, 2010
- Iran to build new missile, seaplane - Jul 26, 2012
- Iran starts mass production of anti-tank rockets - Aug 30, 2011
- Iran to unveil new home-made UAV - Jan 30, 2012
- Iran making progress on indigenous missile - Apr 18, 2012
- World's first flying car may soar the skies by 2011 - Nov 14, 2009
- US developing 'flying' armoured vehicle - Dec 02, 2010
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- Britons may soon fly cars! - Jul 19, 2011
- Iran begins making anti-cruise missile shield - May 04, 2010
- Iran starts production of two new missiles - Feb 07, 2010
- US, Israel responsible for Syrian insecurity: Iran - Jul 20, 2012
- Iran says ready for defence cooperation with Egypt, Libya - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: ahmad, electronic systems, flying boat, flying car, helicopter, hybrid vehicle, hybrid vehicles, iranian minister, minister of defence, news com au, night vision cameras, pen to paper, reconnaissance, squadron, superpowers, surveillance operations, systems news, unveiling, volume production, vtol