US can work with Muslims, Obama tells OICFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Jeddah, Feb 2 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has told the Organization of Islamic Conference that he has full confidence that the US can work together with the world’s largest grouping of Muslims, the official IRNA news agency reported Monday.In a letter to OIC Secretary General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, Obama said he would work to improve relations with the grouping, the Jeddah-based organization said in a statement.
Obama also thanked the OIC, which represents 1.5 billion Muslims in 57 countries, for congratulating him on his inauguration as the 44th president of the US Jan 20, the OIC said.
The OIC in its letter to Obama on the occasion of his inauguration urged the president to work for a “shared” peace in the world rather than one that is “imposed”.
“We warmly welcome your expressed desire to give a major address in a Muslim nation soon after you assume the presidency and hope it will mark the beginning of a more fruitful and better-informed dialogue between the West and the Muslim world,” the OIC said in its letter to Obama.
“We firmly believe that America, with your guidance, can help foster that peace, though real peace can only be shared - never imposed. A nation can either be great or feared, but rarely both at the same time,” it added.
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- Avoid civilian casualties in Libya: OIC - Mar 24, 2011
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- OIC condemns Delhi blast - Sep 08, 2011
- Clinton meets head of OIC - Feb 16, 2010
- UAE reiterates support to Myanmar Muslims - Jul 14, 2012
- Muslim states vow one billion dollar aid to flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 30, 2010
- India terms OIC's Kashmir description 'most regrettable' - Jun 22, 2011
- India dismayed at OIC stance on Mumbai attack - May 29, 2009
- President Obama appoints special envoy to the Muslim world - Feb 14, 2010
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Obama extends "warmest greetings" to Pakistan on National Day - Mar 23, 2011
- Islamic Conference to meet in Pakistan on relief effort - Aug 25, 2010
- Indian American to groom US Muslims for public service - Feb 06, 2012
- Geelani to intensify stir ahead of Obama's India visit - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: 44th president, barack obama, based organization, confidence, desire, ekmeleddin ihsanoglu, feb 2, guidance, inauguration, informed dialogue, irna news agency, muslim nation, muslim world, muslims, oic secretary general, organization of islamic conference, peace in the world, presidency, real peace