US calls on citizens to leave SyriaAugust 6th, 2011 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US has urged its citizens to leave Syria immediately following violent clashes in the country between government troops and protesters.
“The US Department of State urges US citizens in Syria to depart immediately while commercial transportation is available. Given the ongoing uncertainty and volatility of the current situation, US citizens who must remain in Syria are advised to limit non-essential travel within the country,” the State Department said in a statement.
The statement also added that those who planned their visits beforehand should cancel them immediately as well.
The Department of State reiterated in the statement that it “ordered all eligible family members of US government employees as well as certain non-emergency personnel to depart Syria on April 25, 2011″.
The travel warning came as Syrian troops and tanks continued their assault on the eastern city of Hama, a centre of opposition protest, where some 300 people were killed in the past several days.
More than 1,600 civilians are thought to have been killed in Syria since protests against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad began in March.
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia reminds Syria of 1925 chemical weapons ban - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria - Aug 21, 2012
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Syria releases over 900 protesters - Dec 01, 2011
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, civilians, commercial transportation, current situation, department of state, eligible family members, government employees, government troops, president bashar, protesters, protests, ria novosti, state department, syria, syrian troops, travel warning, uncertainty, us department of state, violent clashes, volatility