US calls for vigilance against 9/11 threatSeptember 10th, 2011 - 5:54 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 10 (IANS) US security head Friday asked all citizens to be vigilant against potential terror threat surrounding the 10th anniversary of the 9/ 11 terrorist attacks, Xinhua reported.
“As we head into the 9/11 anniversary weekend, we continue to urge the American public to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to law enforcement authorities,” US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a statement.
Napolitano promised to take all threat reporting seriously, including the recent “specific, credible but unconfirmed” threat information disclosed by US officials Thursday night.
The position of Homeland Security Secretary was created by the US Homeland Security Act following the terrorist attacks of Sep 11, 2001. The secretary is a member of the President’s Cabinet.
At least three individuals — one believed to be a US citizen — entered the country in August with the intent to launch a vehicle-borne attack against Washington D.C. or New York around the 9/11 anniversary, officials said.
“We continue to be in close contact with our federal, state and local law enforcement partners to ensure that all steps necessary to mitigate any threats are taken,” Napolitano said.
White House press secretary Jay Carney said President Barack Obama was briefed Friday morning by his national security team, including the president’s chief anti-terrorism advisor John Brennan, National Security Advisor Tom Donilon and his deputy Denis McDonough, on the threat.
- Obama calls for heightened vigilance during 9/11 anniversary - Sep 11, 2011
- US taking 9/11 threat seriously: Biden - Sep 09, 2011
- US issues travel alert ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Sep 03, 2011
- US steps up awareness ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Aug 18, 2011
- US facing highest terror threat since 9/11: Homeland Security chief - Feb 10, 2011
- US reports 'credible but unconfirmed' anniversary threat - Sep 09, 2011
- 9/11 anniversary: US ramps up security - Sep 11, 2012
- Obama appeals against violence in Egypt - Jan 30, 2011
- US Homeland Security chief visits India (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 24, 2011
- US to ditch terror colour warning system - Jan 27, 2011
- US homeland secretary visiting India - May 24, 2011
- US homeland security chief pays tribute to 26/11 martyrs - May 24, 2011
- Terrorists could target America this festive season: US security officials - Dec 22, 2010
- US intercepts 9/11 threat from Al Qaeda operative - Sep 10, 2011
- U.S. President Obama briefed on military operations in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: 10th anniversary, 9 11 terrorist attacks, anniversary weekend, barack obama, close contact, enforcement partners, homeland security act, janet napolitano, john brennan, law enforcement authorities, national security advisor, national security team, press secretary, sep 11 2001, suspicious activity, terror threat, us homeland security, vigilance, white house press, xinhua