US calls for tougher sanctions on SyriaJune 6th, 2012 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 6 (IANS) US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner Wednesday called for tougher sanctions against Syria to hasten political change in that Middle East country.
Addressing the second meeting of the Friends of the Syrian People International Working Group on Sanctions, which drew representatives from 55 nations, the US official said sanctions alone could not bring about the change sought by Washington and its allies, “but sanctions can play an important role”.
The one-day event, co-chaired by the governments of Turkey and Qatar, focused on ways to further strengthen international sanctions against the Syrian government, Xinhua reported.
“Strong sanctions, effectively implemented, aggressively enforced, can help deprive the Syrian regime of the resources it needs to sustain itself and to continue its repression of the Syrian people,” Geithner said.
He said the US hopes that all “responsible countries will soon join in taking appropriate economic actions against the Syrian regime”, including, if necessary, UN Security Council resolutions that authorise the use of force.
The first meeting of the group was held in Paris in April.
- Clinton seeks Russia, China's help in Syrian crisis - Jun 07, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- U.S. government sanctions three Syrian companies - Aug 10, 2011
- US slaps sanctions on Syrian bank - May 31, 2012
- Syrian army committing crimes against humanity: Italian minister - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- US sanctions meant to deny Assad funds for violence - Aug 11, 2011
- US slaps sanctions on Syria's broadcasting group - Mar 06, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- US business groups to protest tax law changes in India - Apr 19, 2012
- US slaps sanctions on Syria, Iran - Apr 24, 2012
- Western role in Syria will prove costly: Assad - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: allies, economic actions, first meeting, governments, international sanctions, international working group, paris in april, qatar, repression, sanctions against syria, sanctions on syria, security council resolutions, syrian government, syrian regime, timothy geithner, un security council, un security council resolutions, us treasury secretary, use of force, xinhua