US calls for end to attack in GazaMarch 3rd, 2008 - 5:54 am ICT by admin
Washington, March 3 (DPA) The US has called for an end to violence in the Gaza Strip and urged Israelis and Palestinians to resume negotiations. “We call for an end to violence and all acts of terrorism directed against innocent civilians,” White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said in a statement Sunday. “There is a clear distinction between terrorist rocket attacks that target civilians and action in self-defence.”
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had earlier announced a trip to the Middle East beginning Monday in support of peace negotiations.
According to officials from the Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza, 112 Palestinians have been killed in the Strip since Wednesday, including 26 children.
The Israeli chief of staff said earlier Sunday that out of 100 Palestinians killed 90 were militants.
The UN Security Council has called on both parties to end the violence.
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Rice blames Hamas for violence in Gaza - Dec 28, 2008
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- US admonishes Israel, criticizes Hamas over attacks (Second lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel's Gaza offensive enters second day, 271 killed (Third lead) - Dec 28, 2008
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Palestinian militants fire rocket into Israel - Sep 04, 2010
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: acts of terrorism, chief of staff, condoleezza rice, dpa, gaza strip, gordon johndroe, hamas, innocent civilians, israelis and palestinians, ministry of health, peace negotiations, rocket attacks, secretary of state condoleezza rice, self defence, state condoleezza rice, target civilians, un security council, urged israelis, us secretary of state, white house spokesman