US born cleric al-Awlaki added to terror blacklistJuly 17th, 2010 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 17 (ANI): Radical Yemeni-American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki has been added to an Obama administration terrorism blacklist that will see him being targeted with sanctions aimed at cutting off his financial support.
Anwar al-Awlaki’s inclusion in the list of Specially Designated Global Terrorists means any bank accounts found in the United States belonging to him are frozen, Americans will be forbidden from doing business with him and he is banned from traveling to the United States.
The move comes about six months after Washington put al-Awlaki on a secret list of targets to be captured or killed.
Anwar al-Awlaki has gained a cult following for his anti-U.S. rants. The charismatic terror leader has acquired the knack of mesmerizing young Westerners to wage jihad.
“Awlaki’s been moving up the terrorist food chain for several years now,” said a U.S. official familiar with his classified dossier.
“He’s gone from propagandist to operational figure within AQAP [Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula], which has become more interested in external plotting over time, including planning attacks against U.S. interests at home and abroad,” he added
Counter-terror officials compare the Yemeni-American’s magnetism to those of cult leaders.
He’s an expert at persuading ordinary men, like the recently arrested New Jersey plotters to kill for Allah - or die for Him.
Time and time again, from the Fort Hood, Tex., massacre to the underwear bomber to the Times Square plot, al-Awlaki’s name ends up in the thick of it - giving him the dubious distinction of being the only U.S. citizen marked for death by his own government.
Awlaki’s latest success with inspiring followers to wage anti-U.S. jihad was the two New Jersey men arrested Saturday at Kennedy Airport on their way to join Somalia’s Al Qaeda-tied Al Shabaab after listening to his speeches.
Besides his rants, a major reason for al-Awlaki’s influence is that, unlike core Al Qaeda leaders, he has been remarkably accessible: He has a Web site and answers his e-mail. (ANI)
- Terrorist al-Awlaki gains a cult following through mesmerising sermons - Jun 08, 2010
- Qaeda's sarcastic new American mouthpiece - Nov 30, 2010
- Al-Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki sentenced to ten years in prison - Jan 17, 2011
- Anwar al-Awlaki calls for more terror attacks on West in new video - Sep 30, 2010
- New York police arrest 'al-Qaeda sympathizer' who plotted bombing campaign - Nov 21, 2011
- Yemen charges US-born radical cleric Al-Awlaki for first time - Nov 03, 2010
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- American born radical cleric al-Awlaki linked to UK terror plot - Dec 29, 2010
- Islamist groups are elated by Arab revolts: Awlaki - Mar 31, 2011
- American Qaeda leader Al Awlaki urging followers to steal funds, property from West - Jan 18, 2011
- 'American Al-Qaeda militants now pose biggest terror threat to US' - Oct 27, 2010
- Islamic cleric puts cartoonist Molly Norris on execution hit list for caricaturing Prophet Muhammed - Jul 12, 2010
- Al Qaeda leader dined at Pentagon months after 9/11 - Oct 21, 2010
- Texas man indicted for being in contact with al Qaeda leader Awlaki since 2008 - Jun 04, 2010
- Yemeni-American trained American jihadis could attack US: Experts - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,