U.S. basketballers exudes confidence before OlympicsAugust 3rd, 2008 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, Aug 3 (Xinhua) The United States basketball team is bristling with confidence ahead of the Olympics. “I’m excited to be here. The whole team is healthy. I’m looking forward to good performances in the warm-ups to be ready for the Olympics,” Kobe Bryant said Saturday.
The US will play warm-up games against European champions Russia Sunday and Australia Tuesday at the Qizhong Forest Sports City, southwest of Shanghai.
They beat Lithuania 120-84 Friday and defeated Turkey 114-82 Wednesday, both at Macao. They also trounced Canada 120-65 at Las Vegas before leaving for China.
“We spent last three years together. We love international games, and shown it a lot of respect,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “Some competent officials came to teach us the international rules and we are now more familiar with them.”
Though averaging a 41-point margin in the practice games, the coach said the Olympics would not be as easy as warm-ups.
“I don’t think anybody can breeze through the Olympic Games. We want to win the gold medal. It doesn’t matter whether we win it by 30 or 40 points,” he said.
The US will play China in their first match at the Olympics Aug 10.
- Kobe, LeBron to tour China after Olympics - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Dominant but not dream start for US men's basketball team - Jul 30, 2012
- US picks 12-man basketball squad for Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: We are here for gold, says LeBron James - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Kobe Bryant watches Federer win - Aug 04, 2012
- Pakistan hockey team leaves for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- Brazil to play three strikers at Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Asian Games badminton: Macao pull out of women's competition - Nov 13, 2010
- Ghana to play China in international friendly - Jul 21, 2012
- Liu Xiang arrives in London, eying second Olympic gold medal - Jul 12, 2012
- Opening ceremony a warm-up act for Games: Danny Boyle - Jul 28, 2012
- Deron Williams scores a career record of 57 points - Mar 05, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Chinese off to a good start - Jul 29, 2012
- China's badminton coach plays down Olympic hopes - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: basketball team, city southwest, coach mike krzyzewski, competent officials, european champions, forest sports, gold medal, head coach, international games, kobe bryant, mike krzyzewski, olympic games, point margin, practice games, shanghai, sports city, ups, warm up games, warm ups, xinhua