US backs Benazir’s call for mass protests against emergency ruleNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:15 am ICT by admin
McCormack rejected concerns that Bhutto’s call would spark further violence.
“I don’t think anybody should look at actions and say that they are going to inevitably lead to violence,” he said.
“People have a choice. People have a choice in what they do and have a choice in how they react,” McCormack said.
“We’ve preached the idea to all parties of calm during this particularly turbulent period in Pakistan’s political system,” McCormack said.
“I don’t think anybody wants to see outbreak of violence. What we want to see is a peaceful return to constitutional democratic rule,” he told reporters.
“Our counsel to all parties has been to maintain that atmosphere of calm… and focus on those actions that take Pakistan back to democratic rule,” the Dawn quoted McCormack, as saying.
Earlier, Bhutto had warned Musharraf to lift the state of emergency in the country and announce free and fair elections, otherwise the party’s November 9 election rally in Rawalpindi would turn into a protest demonstration.
“The people of Pakistan are against the imposition of emergency in the country and want free and fair elections. President Musharraf should fulfil his promise and announce free and fair elections after lifting the emergency,” she told reporters at Zardari House. (ANI)
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- EU foreign policy chief condemns fresh violence in Egypt - Nov 21, 2011
- Benazir placed under house arrest - Nov 14, 2007
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- UN probe of Benazir assassination flawed: Zardari - Dec 27, 2010
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- New poll panel chief after consensus: Pakistani PM - Feb 01, 2012
- Pakistani PM vows supremacy of parliament - Jun 23, 2012
- Rally in Moscow for fair presidential vote - Jan 09, 2012
- PPP a party of the masses, says Pakistani PM - Jun 25, 2011
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- US concerned over Egypt violence - May 05, 2012
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: benazir, bhutto, calm, democratic rule, department spokesman sean mccormack, election rally, elections president, emergency rule, mass protests, pakistan, peaceful return, president musharraf, protest demonstration, rawalpindi, reporters, state department spokesman, state of emergency, street protests, turbulent period, violence