US assures India of full probe into gurdwara shootingAugust 6th, 2012 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 6 (IANS) The United States has assured India of a full investigation into the killings at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin, India’s ambassador to Washington Nirupama Rao has said, asking the community to remain calm.
“Our hearts bleed for the precious and innocent lives lost in Oak Creek,” a Milwaukee suburb, Rao wrote on Twitter, mourning the killings and praising the community for showing the best qualities of Indian Americans.
“The Sikhs are among the best Indian Americans - patriotic, law-abiding, industrious, generous and giving. I grieve with them today,” she said. “This is a very tragic time for our community. We must remain calm.”
Rao said she received telephone calls from John Brennan, the anti-terrorism adviser to President Barack Obama, and Wendy Sherman, under secretary of state for political affairs, to condemn the attacks and “express heartfelt condolences”.
“Mr. Brennan assured me these tragic killings would be fully investigated, that Sikh community is a precious part of the fabric of American nation,” she wrote.
Rao also thanked her Pakistani counterpart, Sherry Rehman, who used Twitter to express her condolences over the tragic incident.
“Saddened at the tragedy. Our prayers with the victims and their families in the Wisconsin shooting at the Sikh temple,” Rehman wrote.
“Thank you. This is a moment of deep sadness. Violence is so meaningless,” Rao replied.
The Indian embassy in Washington said that it was seized of the situation and was in touch touch with the White House’s National Security Council. A diplomat has also been sent to the scene to monitor the situation.
- Four Indians among 6 killed in gurdwara shooting - Aug 07, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US government over shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI hunts for motive (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI looks for motive, India shocked (Fourth Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India shocked as FBI hunts for gurdwara killings' motive (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Obama orders US flag at half mast after gurdwara killing - Aug 07, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- US envoy offers condolences (Third Lead, correcting para four) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: US envoy offers condolences (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- PM expresses shock over US gurudwara killing - Aug 06, 2012
- US Sikh groups rally to ensure safety of community - Aug 06, 2012
- US embassy mourns Sikh deaths in Winconsin - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: american nation, barack obama, best qualities, embassy in washington, heartfelt condolences, indian embassy in washington, innocent lives, john brennan, milwaukee suburb, mr brennan, national security council, nirupama rao, political affairs, sherry rehman, sikh gurdwara, sikh temple, tragic incident, tragic killings, tragic time, wendy sherman