US Army testing gun that can take out ` bad guys’ hiding around cornersMay 29th, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 29 (ANI): The U.S. Army is set to start testing a computerized, high-tech projectile launcher that can take out bad guys hiding around corners and in caves or trenches, even if they are out of a soldier’s line of sight.
Experts have called it the “Judge Dredd” gun, after the Sylvester Stallone movie, but the Pentagon calls it the XM-25 Individual Air Burst Weapon, which uses a laser rangefinder to precisely measure the distance to a target, then primes a fuse on a timed grenade so that the projectile explodes exactly where it should.
“The way a soldier operates this is you basically find your target, then laze to it, which gives the range, then you get an adjusted aim point, adjust fire and pull the trigger,” Fox News quoted deputy program manager Richard Audette as telling the Army News Service.
With a range of 750 meters - nearly half a mile - the XM-25 would also be very effective in Afghanistan, where Taliban fighters often hide behind rocks and in caves.
In addition to precision-timed grenades, the gun is also built to fire armor-piercing, door-breaching, anti-personnel and less-than-lethal rounds. (ANI)
- Smart bullets to pinpoint and kill Afghan terrorists - Nov 30, 2010
- U.S. army's XM-25 soon be seen combating in Afghanistan - Nov 19, 2010
- Now, radio-controlled explosive bullets to leave snipers with no place to hide - Jun 05, 2009
- Separatists target Srinagar army camp with grenades - Jun 28, 2012
- Six gunmen killed in Mexico - Dec 08, 2010
- 23 killed in Yemen attack - Apr 09, 2012
- Karl Urban to step into Stallone's shoes in Judge Dredd - Jul 23, 2010
- New Zealand's Karl Urban in 'Judge Dredd' sequel - Jul 24, 2010
- US Navy developing a super powerful Railgun - Mar 01, 2012
- Five guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Jul 07, 2012
- Security forces continue search post-encounter in Assam - Aug 20, 2011
- Israeli army to acquire rockets - Mar 15, 2012
- Three die in grenade blast in Colombia - Feb 27, 2012
- Was not prepared for Judge Dredd role: Karl (With Images) - Sep 11, 2012
- US army's" revolutionary" XM25 rifles that allow Taliban to only run, not hide - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: aim point, air burst, army news service, audette, bad guys, deputy program manager, fox news, grenades, half a mile, judge dredd, laser rangefinder, line of sight, primes, projectile launcher, s line, stallone movie, sylvester stallone, taliban fighters, target, u s army