US army general apologizes for Afghanistan air strikeMarch 3rd, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar.3 (ANI): US Army General David Petraeus has apologized for an air strike in Afghanistan that killed nine civilians, after Afghan law makers warned that such raids was hampering efforts to end the war against the Taliban.
General Petraeus ordered all military commanders and helicopter crews to be rebriefed on the rules for carrying out air raids.
Members of parliament denounced the recent NATO strikes in Kunar province in which more than 73 civilians including many children were killed.
Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai condemned the “daily” killings of innocent Afghans in foreign air strikes, The Independent reported.
Petraeus said the international force take full responsibility for the deaths.
He said: “We are deeply sorry for this tragedy. These deaths should have never happened and I will personally apologize to President Karzai.” (ANI)
- US apology over civilian killings 'not enough': Karzai - Mar 07, 2011
- US "well-positioned" to begin withdrawing troops from Afghanistan in July: Gates - Mar 08, 2011
- Karzai accepts Gates' apology over deaths of Afghan children in NATO air strike - Mar 08, 2011
- NATO apologizes for airstrike which killed Afghan women, children - May 30, 2011
- 16 civilians killed in Afghanistan, ISAF says - Aug 06, 2010
- Karzai, Petraeus 'agree' on Special Forces raids in Afghanistan - Nov 19, 2010
- Stop night raids, Karzai tells NATO - Dec 25, 2011
- Suicide bomber kills 55 at Shiite shrine in Kabul - Dec 07, 2011
- Afghan officials dismiss split between US and Kabul govt over Karzai criticism - Nov 16, 2010
- Karzai condemns, US saddened over Afghan killings (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- End NATO operations in Afghanistan: Karzai - Mar 12, 2011
- Worrying increase in Afghan civilian deaths caused by US-allied forces in 2010 - Nov 02, 2010
- Afghanistan orders probe of civilian deaths in NATO raid - Apr 07, 2011
- Obama meets Karzai - Sep 21, 2011
- Karzai urges US to reduce special 'night raid' operations in Afghanistan - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: afghanistan president hamid, afghans, air raids, army general, civilians, david petraeus, deaths, general david petraeus, general petraeus, hamid karzai, helicopter crews, killings, members of parliament, military commanders, nato strikes, parliament, president hamid karzai, president karzai, taliban, tragedy