US applauds North Korea’s statement about no n-testJune 12th, 2012 - 10:43 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 12 (IANS) The US has applauded the statement by North Korea that it has no plans to conduct a nuclear test at present.
“Obviously we’ll judge them by their actions, rather than their words,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“It’s a good thing, obviously, that they are saying better things,” she said at a regular news briefing.
“But we continue to call on them to fulfill their international obligations to refrain from any provocative activity, including provocative rhetoric with regard to their neighbours,” she said.
“They should be bound by the terms of their UN obligations and by the talks that they entered into in 2005,” Nuland said.
The six-party talks involve North Korea, South Korea, Japan, China, Russia and the US over the denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula.
A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said South Korea tried to “rattle the nerves of North Korea in a bid to cause it to conduct a nuclear test, though such a thing is not under plan at present”, the country’s official news agency KCNA reported.
On May 19, a declaration made by the Group of Eight (G8) summit in the US urged Pyongyang to abandon all nuclear and ballistic missile programmes in a “complete, verifiable, and irreversible manner” after North Korea’s failed launch of an “earth observation” satellite in April.
Responding to the declaration, Pyongyang said it had no plan to conduct nuclear tests alongside its “peaceful satellite development programme”.
North Korea conducted two nuclear tests in October 2006 and May 2009, and were subsequently slapped with sanctions by the UN Security Council.
- North Korea has no plans for n-test: Official - Jun 10, 2012
- US welcomes North Korean invitation to n-experts - Mar 20, 2012
- US concludes 'constructive' talks with North Korea - Jul 30, 2011
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- G8 expresses concerns over North Korea, Iran - May 20, 2012
- Foreign observers for North Korean satellite launch - Mar 18, 2012
- 'Japan can crash North Korea satellite if needed' - Mar 18, 2012
- US suspends food aid to North Korea (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- US suspends food aid to North Korea - Mar 29, 2012
- US to hold N-talks with Pyongyang - Oct 20, 2011
- North Korea vows to go ahead with space programme - Apr 18, 2012
- Japan warns of crashing down North Korean satellite - Mar 18, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea's Kim Jong-il says ready to resume six-party nuclear talks - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,