US ambassador killed in Libya attack (Lead)September 12th, 2012 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 12 (IANS) The US ambassador to Libya has been killed after being attacked by militiamen who stormed the American consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, BBC reported Wednesday.
Christopher Stevens was said to be among four US officials killed in the late Tuesday protest over a US-produced film that is said to insult the Prophet Muhammad.
The State Department has confirmed the death of an official but it has not named him.
Xinhua quoted Al Jazeera TV as saying that hundreds of protesters broke into the consulate building.
The ambassador, who was on a short trip to Benghazi, apparently died of suffocation as a result of smoke inhalation after the mob set fire at the scene.
Libya’s Supreme Security Committee spokesman Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr said: “One American staff member has died and a number have been injured in the clashes.”
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton confirmed “a staff member” died.
In Cairo, several thousands of Egyptians protested in front of the US embassy against the same movie, allegedly sponsored by Americans but not by the US government or Hollywood companies.
- US ambassador killed in Libya attack - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in attack over movie (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Obama condemns US envoy's killing in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi consulate attack (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US on alert as protests over anti-Islam video spread (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- India condemns attack on US consulate in Libya - Sep 13, 2012
- US deploys drones, destroyers to hunt for envoy's killers - Sep 13, 2012
- US consulate set ablaze in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- Putin condemns attack on US diplomats in Libya - Sep 14, 2012
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Libyan diplomat to China quits - Feb 21, 2011
- Libya's envoy to India resigns in protest - Feb 21, 2011
- Libyan unrest toll tops 100 after mourners shot dead (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: al hurr, al jazeera, al jazeera tv, ambassador, american staff, clashes, egyptians, hillary clinton, libya, militiamen, prophet muhammad, protesters, security committee, set fire, short trip, smoke inhalation, staff member, suffocation, us embassy, xinhua