US airlines captain gives mid-air scare to passengersMarch 28th, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 28 (IANS) Passengers in an American airliner had to wrestle an off-duty pilot to the floor when he started running around the packed jet shouting — “We’re all going down - say your prayers”.
The Las Vegas-bound 135-passenger Airbus A320 plane of JetBlue Airways was diverted and forced into an emergency landing in Texas city.
The CEO of JetBlue Airways said Wednesday he has known the captain of the flight that made an emergency landing Tuesday for “a long time” — and that the man has always been a “consummate professional”, the CNN reported.
According to the Sun, Captain Clayton Osborn had been locked out of the cockpit by a co-pilot concerned about his erratic behaviour when he left to use the bathroom.
After his outburst, a flight attendant appealed for help. Passengers leapt out of their seats and grabbed the captain before pinning him to the floor for 15 minutes.
Before being restrained, Osborn shouted about “bombs” and “Al-Qaeda”, the British daily reported.
Airline JetBlue later described the incident as a “medical situation involving the captain”.
The pilot was removed and taken to a medical facility, it said.
“We’re still investigating,” said Lydia Maese, an FBI spokeswoman.
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- JetBlue Airways pilot suffers psychotic episode in prison - Aug 09, 2012
- JetBlue fined $90,000 for violating passenger rights - Aug 22, 2012
- Pilot locks himself in toilet of a New York bound flight - Nov 18, 2011
- China reviews foreign pilots - Sep 29, 2011
- US airline traffic up 1.6 percent - Jul 20, 2012
- Co-pilot seat adjustment causes AI jet to plunge a terrifying 7,000-ft - Dec 02, 2010
- Hudson crash landing hero Sullenberger retires - Mar 04, 2010
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Jet hauled up for 'serious lapses', 10 staffers suspended - Aug 28, 2010
- Crazed staffer flees from emergency chute after F-word tirade against passenger - Aug 10, 2010
- Airlines to show Super Bowl 2011 on airplanes - Feb 01, 2011
- Serb pilots blame 'pressures' of working in India for Dubai-Mangalore AI plane crash - Nov 20, 2010
- Jet Blue Airways Warms Up To South African Airways, Offers Bounty To Customers - May 11, 2010
- Passengers praise pilot for landing Delta flight in New York safely - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: airbus a320, al qaeda, american airliner, bombs, cnn, co pilot, cockpit, emergency landing, fbi, flight attendant, jetblue airways, lydia, maese, medical facility, medical situation, mid air, osborn, outburst, scare, spokeswoman