US airline ‘apologises’ for booting tall passenger from planeApril 6th, 2011 - 4:57 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, April 06 (ANI): Horizon Air flight has apologised to a “humiliated passenger” who was told to get off the plane for being too tall to fit into his seat properly.
The anonymous passenger’s stepdaughter wrote to The Consumerist detailing the incident that took place on board the Horizon Air flight from Oregon to California, US.
The passenger, who is over two metres tall, tried several times to get an exit row seat for additional room but failed, forcing him to take a normal seat.
He alleged that a customer service agent said that his “long limbs were now the flight attendant’s problem”.
On board the plane the passenger’s legs were sticking out into the aisle and a flight attendant tripped over them.
Staff members then approached him, saying that he must get his legs out of the way. When he couldn’t he was removed form the plane.
“We apologise for how this situation was handled and compensated the passenger the value of his ticket off a future flight, which he found acceptable,” News.com.au quoted an airline spokesperson as saying about the incident, which occurred on March 18.
“What should have happened in this scenario is the flight attendants should have asked for passengers seated in an exit or bulkhead row to voluntarily give up their seats to provide the passenger with the much needed leg room he requires.
“Moving him to a seat with more leg room would have ensured the aisle was clear but that didn’t happen and he was wrongly removed from the plane,” the spokesperson added.
The passenger is said to be “pleased” with the apology and the airline’s offer of a free flight. (ANI)
- Two-metre tall US passenger forced to stand on flight due to his height - Jan 10, 2011
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- Air New Zealand unveils 'cuddle class seating' - Dec 23, 2010
- Fighter jets intercept Detroit-bound plane after passengers 'make out' in bathroom - Sep 12, 2011
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- Bat on a Delta plane terrifies passengers - Aug 11, 2011
- Lack of seats force passengers to stand on Tatarstan Airlines flight - Sep 30, 2010
- Close shave for Jet Airways flight - Jul 21, 2011
- Gerard Depardieu creates a controversy by urinating in plane's aisle - Aug 17, 2011
- Jet Blue Flight Attendant Steven Slater Arrested - Aug 10, 2010
- Actions that could get you kicked off your flight - Feb 23, 2010
- American Airlines to charge between $19 and $39 for front-row seats - Aug 18, 2010
- Ryanair plans standing seats to cut costs - Jul 01, 2010
- US airlines captain gives mid-air scare to passengers - Mar 28, 2012
- Tantrum throwing Faye Dunaway denied upgrades on flights - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: air flight, aisle, apologises, apology, bulkhead, consumerist, customer service agent, exit row, flight attendant, flight attendants, free flight, horizon air, leg room, melbourne april, news com au, row seat, several times, spokesperson, staff members, stepdaughter