US Air Force’s ’secret’ space shuttle goes missing againOctober 13th, 2010 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 13 (ANI): The X-37B - ’secret’ space shuttle of US Air Force has gone missing again and rumours are abound that it may have landed somewhere.
The X-37B has been orbiting the Earth for 173 days since its launch on April 22 and has captured the imagination of sky-watchers, military experts and conspiracy theorists worldwide.
Some reckon its purpose is to ferry spy satellites into orbit and others, it may signal the start of the weaponisation of space.
Now, for the second time since it launched, it’s disappeared and the race is on once again to find it, then offer a plausible theory about what it’s up to this time.
The last time it was lost, amateur skywatcher Greg Roberts of Cape Town found it. Now it’s gone missing again, failing to pass over its regular flight path on the nights of October 7 and 9, according to UniverseToday, reports News.com.au.
However, no one’s been able to pick it up on a new flight path, leading to speculation that maybe this time around, the US Air Force is preparing to land its experiment.
“In all honesty, we don’t know when it’s coming back,” US Air Force spokesman Gary Payton told reporters when it was launched.
According to the Pentagon, a second X-37B is already under construction. (ANI)
- Astronomers claim to have found US Air Force's 'top secret' space shuttle - May 24, 2010
- US Air Force's mysterious X-37B space plane spotted by amateur skywatchers - May 26, 2010
- US Air Force's X-37B space plane takes off on 'mystery mission' - Apr 23, 2010
- US moving towards 'high-altitude' weaponry era with Falcon, X-37B launches - Apr 24, 2010
- US Air Force launches second robotic space plane on mystery mission - Mar 06, 2011
- Top secret US spy plane back after long sojourn - Dec 05, 2010
- US Air Force launches 'space plane' - Apr 23, 2010
- First private spacecraft launched to space station - May 22, 2012
- Roles of U.S. Air Force secret space plane - May 22, 2010
- First private spacecraft launch to ISS delayed - Apr 25, 2012
- China launches Shenzhou-9 with first woman astronaut - Jun 16, 2012
- US private firm aborts launch to space station - May 19, 2012
- NASA hails new era in space - May 23, 2012
- First commercial spacecraft docks with space station - May 26, 2012
- US launches unmanned robotic space plane X-37B - Apr 26, 2010
Tags: air force, cape town, conspiracy theorists, flight path, gary payton, honesty, last time, launch, military experts, news com au, orbit, pentagon, plausible theory, second time, secret space, sky watchers, space shuttle, speculation, spy satellites, us air