Uphaar tragedy: Supreme Court refuses to review Ansals` bail cancellationOctober 23rd, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 23 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Thursday refused to review an application filed by the Ansal brothers seeking review of their bail cancellation in the Uphaar cinema tragedy case.
A Bench of justices B N Aggrawal and G S Singhvi said the Ansal brothers, Sushil and Gopal, cannot seek review of the apex court’’s order in the garb of modification application.
The apex court said that the only remedy available to the accused was to file a fresh review petition.
Earlier, the Delhi High Court granted bail to Gopal and Sushil Ansal. The court also granted bail to two other convicts — Shyam Sunder Sharma and H S Panwar in the case.
A Delhi Sessions Court on November 23 awarded Gopal and Sushil two years of imprisonment in connection with the Uphaar Cinema hall fire tragedy that left 59 people dead and over hundred people injured.
The brothers were held guilty of criminal negligence in the case.
The tragedy took place on June 13, 1997 during the screening of the Hindi film, “Border.”
The theatre was engulfed when an overheated generator burst in the basement of the building. Men, women and children all scampered to rush out of the four cinema hall exits. (ANI)
- Uphaar tragedy: Delhi HC to pronounce verdict today - Dec 19, 2008
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: High Court upholds conviction of Ansal brothers - Dec 19, 2008
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: Bailable arrest warrants against Ansal brothers - Aug 13, 2008
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Court rejects Ansals' plea to get back Uphaar cinema hall - Mar 21, 2009
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Relatives of Uphaar victims visit ground zero with a prayer - Jun 13, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- Court issues summons to Ansal brothers - Apr 24, 2012
- Uphaar case: Supreme Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Jan 30, 2009
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: ansal, apex, apex court, bench, burst, cancellation, cinema hall, convicts, criminal negligence, delhi high court, fire tragedy, garb, gopal, hindi film, imprisonment, men women, New Delhi, remedy, sessions court, sushil