UNSC to hold emergency meet over North Korea’s rocket launchApril 5th, 2009 - 11:42 am ICT by ANI
London, Apr 5 (ANI): The UN Security Council is to hold an emergency meeting after North Korea defiantly carried out a provocative long-range missile rocket launch on Sunday that passed over Japan.
Both the US State Department and the Japanese Government have issued stark statements condemning the blast-off.
Japan said the launch was “regrettable” and the US called it “provocative” and said appropriate steps would be taken.
“We have had a launch. I don’t know the type of missile,” SKY News quoted US State Department spokesman Fred Lash, as saying.
Japanese broadcaster NHK said there were no reports of any debris falling on Japan. It appears that wreckage from the rocket fell in the Pacific Ocean.
International pressure had mounted in recent days to halt the launch at Musudan-ri on the north-east coast.
North Korea had said its intentions were peaceful and it was launching an “experimental communications satellite.”
But the US and North Korea’s neighbours believe it is a cover for testing the regime’s long-range missile technology in defiance of UN resolutions.
Before the blast-off, North Korean leader Kim Jong-il appeared to make a rare public appearance, when he visited a theatre in Pyongyang.
US President Barack Obama had warned that the international community would take action if North Korea went ahead with the launch. (ANI)
- China, Japan, South Korea warn North Korea over n-tests (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- North Korea's new missile launch tower may allow it to strike US directly - Feb 18, 2011
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- North Korea launches rocket: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Japan resolution against North Korea's rocket launch - Apr 12, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC meets on North Korea's satellite launch - Apr 13, 2012
- Pentagon urges North Korea to give up missile launch (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- Kim Jong-un elected chairman of National Defence Commission - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea all set to launch satellite: Official (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Japan to deploy interceptors to counter North Korean launch - Mar 20, 2012
- US suspends food aid to North Korea (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: barack obama, communications satellite, fred lash, japanese government, kim jong il, korean leader, missile technology, neighbours, north korea, north korean leader kim jong il, ocean international, pyongyang, range missile, rare public appearance, rocket launch, sky news, state department spokesman, un security council, us state department, wreckage