UNSC meets on North Korea’s satellite launchApril 13th, 2012 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, April 13 (IANS) The UN Security Council Friday started an emergency closed-door session on how to respond to the satellite launch by North Korea.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Friday urged North Korea not to undertake any further provocative actions that would heighten tension in the region, Xinhua reported citing a statement issued by his spokesman.
The 90-tonne Unha-3 rocket was launched at 7.39 a.m. from the Tongchang-ri launch site but broke into some 20 pieces and fell into the sea a few minutes after lift-off, according to the South Korean defence ministry.
“Despite its failure, the launch of a so-called ‘application satellite’ by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) on 13 April 2012 is deplorable, as it defies the firm and unanimous stance of the international community,” the statement said.
“The launch is in direct violation of Security Council Resolution 1874 and threatens regional stability,” it said.
Pyongyang confirmed an earth observation satellite was launched Friday morning but it failed to enter orbit.
The rocket was launched to mark the 100th birthday of late founder Kim Il Sung.
South Korea and the US said it was a disguised long-range ballistic missile test that violated a UN Security Council resolution.
US ambassador to the UN Susan Rice earlier said: “It is clear that any launch by North Korea using ballistic missile technology, which is what it is, will be a blatant violation of Security Council resolution 1718 and 1874.”
- UNSC deplores North Korea's satellite launch (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Kim Jong-un elected chairman of National Defence Commission - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- North Korea vows to go ahead with space programme - Apr 18, 2012
- Foreign observers for North Korean satellite launch - Mar 18, 2012
- North Korea satellite launch provocative: US - Apr 10, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- `North Koreans to try next missile launch in 2-3 years' - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- US suspends food aid to North Korea - Mar 29, 2012
- 'Japan can crash North Korea satellite if needed' - Mar 18, 2012
- Japan resolution against North Korea's rocket launch - Apr 12, 2012
- India concerned at North Korea's rocket launch attempt - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,