UNSC condemns diplomatic premises attacks in SyriaNovember 16th, 2011 - 8:24 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Nov 16 (IANS) The UN Security Council (UNSC) has strongly condemned the recent attacks on diplomatic posts in Syria, reiterating its call on the Syrian authorities to protect diplomatic and consular property and personnel in the country.
“The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the attacks against several embassies and consular premises in Syria, which have resulted in intrusions into diplomatic and consular premises causing serious damage,” Xinhua quoted the 15-nation Security Council as saying in a statement.
Several of the attacks followed the decision by the Arab League (AL) Nov 12 to suspend Syria’s membership, following difficulties implementing a peace deal in Syria and in starting up a dialogue between the government and the opposition.
Ongoing tensions between supporters of President Bashar Assad and protesters calling for his ouster, resulted in attacks by Assad supporters on foreign embassies and consular buildings, including those of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Jordan and Qatar, reports said. The disturbance started in March in Syria.
In the press statement, the council “reiterated their call on the Syrian authorities to protect diplomatic and consular property and personnel and fully respect their international obligations in this regard.”
- UNSC condemns attack on British embassy - Nov 30, 2011
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- Syria 'surprised' by Qatar's call to send Arab troops into the country - Jan 17, 2012
- India backs move against Assad, rights body pats Delhi (Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- China terms its criticism by Clinton over Syria unacceptable - Jul 08, 2012
- British diplomats withdrawn from Syria - Mar 01, 2012
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Syria vote not for regime change: India - Feb 06, 2012
- Russia, China kill India-backed resolution on Syria (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- India votes for Syria resolution in UN General Assembly - Feb 17, 2012
- Concerned India backs democracy transition in Syria (Intro Roundup) - Feb 05, 2012
- Italy recalls embassy staff from Syria - Mar 15, 2012
- Western ambassadors unwelcome: Syria - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,