Unknown Tagore notebook to go under hammer in New YorkDecember 7th, 2011 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 7 (IANS) A previously unknown notebook belonging to India’s Nobel Laureate and Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore will be auctioned here next week, according to Sotheby’s New York auction house.
Covered in red cloth, the 1928 notebook containing 12 poems and lyrics for 12 songs by Tagore in Bengali, some being heavily amended drafts of subsequently published works, is estimated to fetch $150,000-250,000 at the Dec 13 auction.
The “Gitanjali” author presented the 152-page book to a family friend and early patron in the mid-1930s through whose family it has descended. The manuscript is said to reflect the way Tagore worked.
This is the first of its kind auction in 25 years connected to Tagore who became the first Asian to win a Nobel Prize in 1913, according to the auction house.
A poet, novelist, playwright, and composer artist, Tagore was also a prolific painter. Many of his paintings have fetched strong prices at auctions in London last year.
- Tagore's monumental works to go up on internet - May 09, 2011
- Joy Mitra's WIFW line an ode to Tagore - Oct 10, 2011
- For Bengalis, Tagore still the man for all seasons - May 07, 2011
- Marches kick off Tagore's 150th anniversary celebrations - May 08, 2010
- Life of Rabindranath Tagore at a glance - May 08, 2011
- Tagore birth anniversary celebration in Egypt - May 23, 2011
- India-Bangladesh project to dramatise Tagore's prose, poems - Apr 08, 2011
- First Nepali 'Gitanjali' to be re-launched (With Images) - May 06, 2011
- Railways to set up Tagore museum on 150th anniversary - Dec 30, 2009
- Chitravali: Compiling Tagore's art on 150th birth anniversary - Feb 06, 2011
- Special 'Gitanjali' to mark Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - Feb 04, 2012
- The creative genius who bore suffering silently (Tribute - May 9 is 150th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore) - May 07, 2010
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- Tagore songs in great demand this Durga Puja - Oct 03, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
Tags: auction house, bengali poet, family friend, hammer, manuscript, mid 1930s, new york dec, nobel laureate, nobel prize, notebook, novelist, paintings, patron, playwright, poems, prolific painter, rabindranath tagore, red cloth, sotheby s, york auction