United States and China pledge co-operation for a better futureApril 2nd, 2009 - 12:47 am ICT by ANI
London, April 1 (ANI): The United States and China on Wednesday agreed that there was need to step up economic co-operation to address the ongoing global financial crisis.
Ahead of the G-20 economic summit to be held here on Thursday, the US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Hu Jintao met here and both Heads of State expressed a commitment for the need to resist protectionism and ensure stable US-China trade relations.
The two leaders agreed to establish a Strategic and Economic Dialogue group to tackle the global financial crisis and strengthen the worlds’s financial systems.
Following the meet, Obama accepted an invitation to visit China this year.
“The Presidents agreed on the need for sweeping changes in the governance structure of international financial institutions,” a White House statement was quoted by the BBC, as saying.
The two Heads of State also agreed to cooperate on nuclear issues concerning North Korea and Iran, adding that they would resume discussions about human rights “as soon as possible”.
Meanwhile, Chinese President Hu Jintao stressed a commitment to expand domestic demand to fuel economic growth. (ANI)
- China poses no economic, military threat to US: Hu Jintao - Jan 21, 2011
- Conciliatory China says US and Beijing should not see each other as a 'threat' - Sep 08, 2010
- Obama, Hu differ on issues, but make $45 bn business deals - Jan 20, 2011
- White House statement on bilateral meeting with President Hu of China - Apr 01, 2009
- Clinton in Beijing for strategic, economic dialogue - May 02, 2012
- China warns US to keep off Tibet and Taiwan - Jan 21, 2011
- Hu calls for reform of global monetary, financial systems - Apr 14, 2011
- Ties with China important, says US - Jan 19, 2012
- Chinese president reaffirms support to Europe in debt crisis - Aug 31, 2012
- Hu Jintao's US visit 'made progress' in enhancing China-US ties: Expert - Jan 22, 2011
- World's major economies should work together : Hu (Lead) - Nov 04, 2011
- World's major economies should work together : Hu (Second Lead) - Nov 04, 2011
- Obama meets Chinese premier, ends `productive' visit (Lead) - Nov 18, 2009
- China pledges to work with United States on Iran sanctions - Apr 13, 2010
- Zardari, Ahmadinejad reach China for Shanghai summit - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: april 1, barack obama, better future, china trade relations, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, dialogue group, economic dialogue, economic growth, economic summit, global financial crisis, governance structure, hu jintao, international financial institutions, north korea, nuclear issues, president hu jintao, protectionism, sweeping changes, two heads