Unidentified ‘hate filled’ American burns pages of Koran near Ground ZeroSeptember 12th, 2010 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept 12 (ANI): An unidentified hate-filled fanatic reportedly ripped pages from a Koran and burnt them as a sign of protest, near the proposed site of a Muslim community centre and mosque near Ground Zero on Saturday saying, ‘America should never be afraid to give their opinion.’
“If they can burn American flags, I can burn the Koran. Americans should never be afraid to give their opinion,” The New York Daily News quoted the unidentified man, as saying.
According to the witnesses, the act was an extreme display of fervour, apparently inspired by the Florida pastor who vowed to torch the holy books earlier in the week.
Americans like Lance Corey, a retired history teacher from the Bronx who opposes Park51, have condemned the act.
“Burning Korans is like setting up a recruitment to Al Qaeda, it does nothing for the cause and only brings problems,” Corey said.
Those on both sides of the argument over the Muslim community center rejected the actions of the Koran burner, who was escorted away but not arrested.
Mosad Almontaser from Brooklyn said it was simply “ugly,” and asked: “Is that supposed to bring people together? What’s the point? I thought that was horrible. It helps no one.”
Earlier, Reverend Jones threatened to burn copies of Koran on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks and declared that he would carry on with his plan unless he received a call from New York imam, Feisal Abdul Rauf, confirming that he would change the location of a proposed Islamic community center and mosque away from Ground Zero.
However, after being condemned by the US diplomats, including President Barack Obama, the plan was cancelled. (ANI)
- Hate-filled New Yorker fired by employer for burning Koran - Sep 15, 2010
- Ground Zero imam blames Palin for fueling a "growing Islamophobia" in US - Sep 13, 2010
- Koran burning plans "one hundred" percent called off - Sep 11, 2010
- Confusion over mosque status following pastor's plan to put burning Quran on 9/11 "on hold" - Sep 10, 2010
- 'Ground Zero' imam on Mideast tour to 'Americanize' Islam - Aug 22, 2010
- US defence secretary calls Florida pastor (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- US Muslim groups unite over support for construction of Ground Zero mosque - Sep 21, 2010
- Florida pastor cancels Quran-burning event to discuss 'Ground Zero' mosque move - Sep 10, 2010
- Religious leaders criticize targeting of Muslims over proposed 9/11mosque - Sep 08, 2010
- 'Ground Zero mosque' Imam to undertake 'speaking tour' of US next month - Dec 24, 2010
- Palin calls Koran-burning proposed protest insensitive, unnecessary - Sep 09, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- Quran burning would have "strengthened radicals": Ground Zero mosque imam - Sep 13, 2010
- Crusade against Muslims costs 'Ground Zero' Koran-burning pastor his flock - Nov 17, 2010
- Hillary Clinton condemns Koran burning plan; pastor adamant - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, american flags, barack obama, diplomats, feisal, ground zero, ground zero new york, history teacher, holy books, imam, islamic community center, mosque, muslim community center, new york daily news, ninth anniversary, reverend jones, terror attacks, torch, unidentified man, york daily news