Unicef gives $500,000 for children in war-torn PhilippinesOctober 3rd, 2008 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Oct 3 (DPA) The United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) said Friday it would spend $500,000 in the next three months to help children displaced by nearly two months of fighting in the southern Philippines.The UN agency said the money will be used in ensuring the safety and unity of families displaced in the fighting between government troops and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels in the strife-torn region of Mindanao.
“It is estimated that half a million people have been affected by the latest fighting in Mindanao and we know that more than half of these will be children,” said Vanessa Tobin, Unicef country
Tobin said that a recent UN assessment mission in Mindanao noted the urgent need to focus “on creating a stable, secure environment for children as well as water and sanitation facilities in the evacuation centres.”
Tobin added that the UN mission also found out that some of the children showed signs of distress as a result of prolonged fighting and displacement.
“These children may have witnessed killing or injuring of family members or may even have been attacked themselves,” she said.
“Even the distress of having to suddenly leave their homes and belongings can be very upsetting for young children.”
Tobin said that UNICEF is urging combatants to uphold the rights of civilians, especially women and children.
UNICEF said that at least 10 children have been killed since the fighting erupted in August when MILF rebels seized villages and attacked towns.
The attacks occurred after the Supreme Court stopped the signing of a territory agreement that would have expanded the existing autonomous Muslim region in Mindanao.
More than 200 people have been killed in the subsequent clashes.
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- Obama sends letter to Philippines Muslim rebel leader - Nov 14, 2009
- 27 killed in fighting in the Philippines - Mar 28, 2009
- EU announces more aid for displaced in Philippines - Dec 21, 2008
- 32 people killed in three days of Philippine fighting - Sep 26, 2008
- Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the Philippines - Jun 08, 2009
- One dead in attack on UN relief truck in southern Philippines - Dec 23, 2008
- Unicef to help displaced women, children of Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- Eight rebels killed in Philippine military air strike - Mar 02, 2009
- 15 killed in clash in southern Philippines - Oct 27, 2008
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- Abducted Irish priest freed in Philippines - Nov 12, 2009
- Kidnapped Irish priest released in Philippines (Lead) - Nov 12, 2009
- Philippines rejects call to halt offensives against Muslim rebels - Aug 24, 2008
- 13 rebels killed in Philippines fighting - Nov 18, 2008
Tags: children in war, evacuation centres, fund unicef, half a million, moro islamic liberation front, muslim region, philippines manila, sanitation facilities, southern philippines, territory agreement